Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resimulation and Anim Index (Input Rollout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resimulation and Anim Index (Input Rollout)

I have an explosion I am trying to resimulate to add more detail...

I also adjust the playback timing in my scene to do a "freeze" of the explosion in the middle of it (actually time-scaling in PHX sadly seems to look pretty bad).

Do I need to turn off this "Anim Index" animation (in the input rollout) for the resimulation? Or does resimulation just read the source files and process them to output files?

It would be nice to have a list of parameters that affect resimulation. Like, what about the output channel checkboxes... Do they affect what gets written when resimulating? Or if I want something disabled in the hi-res do I have to set it as a temp channel in the popup in the Resimulation rollout?

Is the storage quality in the output rollout used when resimulating? (a list of what is used would be immensely helpful!)

Thanks.

the resimulation does not use the input time transformation, no need to switch off the anim index animation

Comment

Sounds good.

What about a list of parameters that are active when resimulating?

In an ideal world, I would think that parameters in any rollout that are not able to be changed would get greyed out (shown as inactive). This would provide the user with visual feedback as to what he or she can adjust when resimulating.

Thanks.

Comment

by design only the duplicated parameters are overridden by the resimulation, all the others must be working.

Comment

Not sure I understand what you mean by only the duplicated parameters are overridden.

What I was trying to figure out is what parameters affect the resimulation... For example, anim index does not, but do the output channel checkboxes? Does the time scale and other settings in the Dynamics rollout?

Thanks.

Comment

The initial idea was to implement wavelet turbulence. The method used for this however, have much more potential and it was transform to the idea of "resimulation". This means that you use a base simulation to create a new one. It can be different from the previous in many aspects. We didn't want to limit the choices, so you can replace every simulator parametert. Yes, you can override the output channels and quality. Anim. Index does not change resimulation because it is not related to the simulation, it's an input transformation. If you will do massive changes, you just need to duplicate the simulator and will have completely different setup. The parameters in the Resimulation tab are to handle the mostly used cases.

The most safe simulation change that you can make is the object voxels method if you didn't get it right the first time. Most of the other changes will produce not physically based effect. For example you can add more noise or more radical - change the advection type. You will not get the same result as with normal simulation, but some sort of hybrid result that will also follow the old simulation, but with a new look. We must really do more experiments what really works and disable parameters that do not make any sense to be changed. However bad simulation to us, may mean interesting effect to other. Changing time scale for example will give strange result since the base simulation will run with one speed, and the new one with other. I.e. if you try to slow down your original simulation it will not work. You will get a simulation that moves more slowly and tries to catch the old one.

You will most likely change parameters related to the sources. For example if you forget to add smoke to the simulation. Or you want to tweak the emission rate.
            V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was under the incorrect assumption that resimulation was indeed just wavelet turbulence... But now I understand a lot more.

Comment

in my previous post i was trying to say that you have some parameters duplicated in the resimulation panel, for example the conservation quality, input, output path etc. the value of the duplicated parameters during the resimulation is given by the resimulation panel, all the other parameters you can control by the same UI that is used for the normal simulation.

Comment

OK. I see. What if those duplicate values differ from the resimulation panel vs. the rest of the rolllouts? Are the values int he resimulation panel used instead? For instance, if conservation quality is 10 in the main Simulation settings, but 2 in the resimulation settings will it use 2?

Thanks.

Comment

OK. I see. What if those duplicate values differ from the resimulation panel vs. the rest of the rolllouts? Are the values int he resimulation panel used instead? For instance, if conservation quality is 10 in the main Simulation settings, but 2 in the resimulation settings will it use 2?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, these are duplicated because you will want always to override them. In this way you can preserve the original settings, without creating a whole new simulator and change the settings there.
                      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

yes, if the resimulation panel shows conservation quality 2, it will be 2 when you resimulate regardless of the main panel content.
                        this was introduced to prevent some user mistakes when the a new full simulation is performed, but it seems like it is confusing, we will consider to remove the duplicated conservation control.

Comment

Working...
                        X