Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix Water 'Dissipation'. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Water 'Dissipation'. Is it possible?

I've done a lot of Phoenix FD water/liquid sims in Maya, but I've never been able to figure out how to make water itself dissipate without enabling splash/mist. Is there a way? I only want to render the water/liquid, not splash/mist. And using splash/mist doesn't look right/good anyways when trying to use it to 'dissipate' water, as I explain below.

Only way I've been able to somewhat achieve this is through enabling splash/mist, but splash/mist eats into the water liquid in a weird way when you turn their visibility off and don't render them, and the water by itself doesn't look realistic/good after doing this without a lot of tweaking. Even then it doesn't achieve the look one would normally want.

Smoke has a dissipation setting, but fluid doesn't (at least not that I've ever found). Is there a setting to make water elegantly/realistically 'dissipate' (for lack of better word) in Phoenix v4?

For example, say I want to emit liquid from a sphere in mid-air for a few frames to make a splash effect... but have the water realistically go from solid water, to tendrils and droplets, and finally disappear in mid-air before it reaches the sim container walls and before it collides with the ground.

If there's no dissipation setting, would there maybe be a way to do it by enabling temperature/fuel on the water (which I haven't worked with very much)? Whereby the water would maybe turn to steam that I could turn off the render for, but where it may look more realistic than using splash/mist?

Thanks!

Hey,

Temperature/fuel do nothing in the Liquid sims in Phoenix and it will probably be like that forever.

Indeed in Phoenix 4 you can kill liquid particles using the Particle Tuner. For example you can say "when a particle's Age is above a certain limit, kill it". You can also add some random variation to that as well, so particles don't disappear in the exact order they were born. You can look up tutorials and example scenes with the particle tuner on our docs site - (https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...s+and+Examples), as well as on chaos.com's blog and on youtube as well.

Now, if you want to create tendrils, this has nothing to do with dissipation and killing of liquid particles, so you have to take special care to make it happen. I recommend you enable Surface Tension and decrease droplet breakup to 0 (https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...SurfaceTension) in order to have tendrils appear as the liquid particles get deleted.

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

That's great info, thanks Svetlin! I've worked with Particle Tuner for dust/smoke a bit, but didn't yet try for Liquid. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!

Comment

EDIT: Sorry, I can't seem to delete this post. I realized I'm accidentally trying to use Voxel Tuner instead of Particle Tuner. Will try Particle Tuner, like you said.

Offhand, I'm not seeing an "Age" channel to work with in Voxel Tuner, but will keep looking. So far, only see: "The Channel can be one of: [ Temperature ], [ Smoke ], [ Fuel ], [ Speed ], [ Velocity X ], [ Velocity Y ], [ Velocity Z ], [ RGB Red ], [ RGB Green ], [ RGB Blue ]."

Last edited by j_k1; 29-03-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X