Boat Breaks apart during Sim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Breaks apart during Sim

I have a complicated model of a small boat I am wanting to Sim. Theres probably 100 different objects that go into making the boat.

Currently all of these separate pieces of geometry are linked to a dummy so they can be moved around easily.

I selected all of the different pieces of geometry and hit the speedboat preset to get me started. However with each step taken by the sim the parts of the boat all separate. I tried using the dummy to create the sim but this doesn't work.

Do I need to attach all the objects together into one object to do the sim or am I missing a way that allows me to keep everything separate?

Generally you wouldn't want to sim using a complex model like this.
    What I mean is that usually the only thing that needs to be in the sim is the boat's hull, so just use that
    mesh alone and then replace it with the full model once the sim is done.

Or maybe I misunderstood and your scenario is more complex...
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I agree with the post above - when you have a complicated model of multiple parts, you have to simplify it for the sim. There are 2 options:

-Isolate / weld together the hull parts of the boat an use only it as an Active Body, then, when the simulation is finished and you're happy with it, attach the other parts to the animated clone
      or
      -Create a simple mesh with an approximate shape as a stand-in for the boat and simulate with it. Then either copy its animation over to the dummy with the boat parts, or make it invisible and attach the boat parts to it.

Comment

Working...
      X