Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DSMAX / Water simulation / Rendering artefact

Hello,

This question has probably been asked before, but I can't find any information on it.

Very basic water simulation.
    As soon as you look at the tangent of any surface with a clear reflection (water, paint or other), normals artifacts appear immediately.
    No matter how much smoothing you apply to the mesh via the rendering options of the Phoenix FD simulation, it's impossible to get rid of these artifacts.
    Even when applying an opensubdiv or turbosmooth modifier, you end up with different artifacts (and no more motion blur).

No matter how many times I redo basic simulations with different settings (simulation, rendering, GPU, CPU, shadowbias, shader, RTX, CUDA etc.), it's impossible not to get these water reflections issue.

A mistake on my part?

Thanks in advance for your time

3DSMAX 2024,
    Phoenix FD 5.20.00

IMG 001 : Is the ok render, no too much close, no too much tangent
    IMG 002 : 10 smoothness, artifact in reflection normal
    IMG 003 : 100 smoothness, artifact in reflection normal
    IMG 004 : 100 smoothness, turbosmooth
    IMG 005 : 100 smoothness, artifact in reflection normal, forced issue with directional light
    ​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nicolas_fuminier; 22-03-2024, 07:07 AM.

Smooth modifier modify a bit the issue (IMG 006),
    It's looklike there is nearly no more normal issue, but add a modifier remove the smoothness action from Phoenix FD rendering option, and add a modifier on top off a Phoenix FD will probably remove the motion blur from the render too.

Finally I've tried all the solution from that topic and it didn't help either (relax, smoothness, isosurface etc.)
    https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...+and+Smoothing

Attached Files
    Last edited by nicolas_fuminier; 22-03-2024, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Well,

I've upgraded to 52100, worked all I know about Phoenix and Vray and I can't believe this is a normal behaviour, it's totally unusable at the time.
      Rerun the sim dozen of times, tried as many modifier as I can, and yet some polygons acts with their own normals rules.

Any help is really welcome
      Best
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Can you send over the scene along with a few caches so that we can take a look? You can send it via support.chaos.com (there is a Submit a request button at the top right)

Thanks!
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Working...
        X