Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grid like structure on ocean simulation

Hi there,

I'm creating a fairly simple ship moving through the ocean animation. The issue is I have a grid structure being created at simulation time. Even when I add displacement it doesn't cover it up...when I try using smooth normals with a high value it helps to remove the issue but the displacement waves become very smooth and lose all detail.

Is there a way to firstly, not have this grid structure and secondly, if I cannot remove it, can I smooth the original simulation but keep the detail on the oceantex displacement added?

There also seems to be a raised, "simulation" bow wave and a sunken section at the back of the simulation. Is this the result of attaching the sim to the ship as it moves? Anyway to reduce or remove this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	46
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	1217725
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Hi, thanks for posting.This is a bug that is registered in our system (PHI-5601). In some cases when you try to use animated simulator over the ocean surface these artifacts appear. You will have to create a bigger simulator that covers the whole path of your animated ship.

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Do you have an ETA on when this might be fixed? Doing a full path isn't really an option considering the deadline I have. Is there also going to be an update where you can smooth the normals but not smooth the displacement?
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Hi, we do not have an estimate for this. I added your thread to the report and raised the priority.
        Is there also going to be an update where you can smooth the normals but not smooth the displacement?
        I am not sure what you are asking here. Is this another issue?
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
          Hi, we do not have an estimate for this. I added your thread to the report and raised the priority.

I am not sure what you are asking here. Is this another issue?
          Thanks for that.

Yes, because of the bug I am having to smooth the mesh created by the Phoenix simulation using the smoothing inside Phoenix. The problem is it also smooths the displacement. Is there a way to smooth the mesh but keep the displacement of the oceantex sharp?
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
          X