No announcement yet.

Verbosity of batch simulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Hope you had a nice break. (Hopefully a vacation. )

Comment

Ah, not really, but I rest by working, so got some 'rest' too
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Did simulation progress every make it into 3dsmaxcmd or the Phoenix logs? I would love to get either a progress or current/total frame output in the logs or stdout. That would greatly help with our tools and render farm.

Comment

Not yet, taking a detour right now to see what would it take to implement....

Comment

Yup, it's shaping up - this is in 3dsmaxbatch.exe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	642.3 KB
ID:	1114373

It will be in tomorrow's nightlies.

Any Phoenix simulation errors and warnings will also be printed there.

If you need any more info printed, please ping me

Now will see if this also works for 3dsmaxcmd and Backburner...

Comment

Dang, the way Backburner works at the moment, it collects all our messages and then dumps them all at once just after the simulation has ended, so not very useful.

I'm currently out of ideas around this, so I hope the 3dsmaxbatch.exe logging will be useful...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_8.png
Views:	107
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1114390

Comment

I personally don't use Backburner but outputting everything at once is pretty bad.
                This 3dsmaxbatch/cmd output will definitely be useful, thank you!

Comment

Yess, 3dsmaxbatch seems to be working fine : ) please ping me when you've managed to try it.

Cheers!

Comment

I wonder if it is a buffered stream or something. Perhaps you could spit out a bunch of "|" "/" "-" "" characters with each one followed by a backspace character. This would be a little ASCII spinner thing, but the real idea would be to get the buffer to the point where it flushes So like 1K or whatever.

Comment

I suspect it's because the sim is actually run as a pre-render steps, so given that backburner was not designed with anything else but rendering in mind, maybe logging from all pre-render steps is not flushed until the actual render starts...

I tried gathering a huge buffer, most of it (the first 90+ %) even got lost when backburner printed it at the very end

Comment

I just tried the nightly build for logging and it works great in both 3dsmaxcmd and 3dsmaxbatch. Having a progress on farm jobs is going to be so nice. Thanks for the quick turnaround on this!

Comment

Wohoo! My pleasure

Comment

Working...
                          X