No announcement yet.

wave length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, if nothing conclusive comes up, please send over the scene if possible, so we can check it.
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Morning Svetlin.Nikolov thanks for the offer!
      Talking bout quirks, i right now stumbled over something else, i'm not sure i understand it. Please have a look at the attached pics.

First pic what you see is the complete scenery. As you can see in normal mesh mode all looks fine. Beach and rocks are fine solid objects and are blocked out correctly.

When i want to later on render that in ocean mode i just realized something strange is happening.

When changing to cap mesh mode as you can see in the second pic. There's is that part of fluid in the beach. So wouldn't see it anyway right but when changing to cean mode it seems it wants to connect somehow and creates those strange artifacts at the borders down to the ground. Is this normal behavior and i just oversee in the past or is there somehting completely screwed up in my scene? Maybe i should send it over hihi

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ocean_Connection_NomralMesh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	1078661
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ocean_Connection_CapMesh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	1078662
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ocean_Connection_OceanMesh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	1078659
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean_Connection_OceanMesh2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1078664
      Attached Files
      Last edited by olika; 22-07-2020, 01:15 AM.
      OLIKA
      www.olika.de

Comment

I'd guess it has to do with Fill Up for Ocean and Clear Inside - check the info on Fill Up For Ocean here - there also is an example linked further down the page: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...iquid+Dynamics

Comment

ah ok! that's a direction at least, cool. But reading the docs again, to get rid of it, what can i do? Should i set the beach and rocks to NOT "clear inside" the

Update: Jep! That seems to do the trick!

nicee thx Svetlin.Nikolov
          Last edited by olika; 22-07-2020, 01:26 AM.
          OLIKA
          www.olika.de

Comment

Yay! Indeed, in FLIP simulations you don't need Clear Inside if the geometry is Solid - particles can't get inside and if they somehow do, they will die anyway. Unlike grid fire/smoke simulations where Solid and Clear Inside can be combined.

Comment

...the basics the basics the basics! facepalm! classic, trying to figuring crazy things and then realizing the basis is sketchy from beginning hahaha!
              OLIKA
              www.olika.de

Comment

Hi Svetlin.Nikolov and all of the rest still following this thread.

First off, thanks for posting it in the facebook group! Awesome svetlin! The feedback is very nice to read

And here is my latest status regarding the breaking ocean waves setup.
                I kinda like it already how it comes out, some things are cooler then i expected but some minor quirks are still there.
                In general i would love to here some feedback and tips to get the last 5 percent out of it!

Here's a clay render and hopefully you see what i see:

There's a few things to observe where at some point in time and areas, the fluid develops some kind of its own behavior:

General remarks on the scene:
                The raw mesh ( not smoothed in any way) in that areas looks very bumpy whereas in other areas (flat surface between the waves or when the wavfe is coming down) looks totally fine and smooth.

My cheat to combine the grid somehow with the ocean in that case is using only input channel smoothing, because meshsmooth and use of particles in smooth is causing artifacts at the borders.
                I also have to take my verdict about the droplet surfing back. I thought problems at the end of the shot i.e. where caused by the surfing but it's not causing any problems on the mesh at all.

1. when the wave starts to pile up and getting higher (first 10 seconds) the top of the wave starts to get some unstable boiling surface. That is getting worse when the crest starts to break, to closer to the camera the worse.
                Interesting is that facetting which occurs on the mesh. Displacment, Meshsmooth and Input smooth could not get rid of it. Seems to be a motion blur thing, because in the viewport it kind of looks fine but camera motionblur seems to have some problems on it.
                I did run a test with spf 4 but it seems to do no improvement on that one.

2. In the end when the camera stops and the wave is coming towards us. That part of fluid surface in front of the wave and movement looks like a bit of boiling to me, isn't it strange mesh behavior here? How the wave moves forward?
                Could that be related to older discussions about the beach wave setup and bloing ground etc.? The water here becomes very shallow then because it's close to the beach here.

Hope that was understandable and looking forward to your answers!
                Have a good start into the week folks!
                Last edited by olika; 27-07-2020, 02:05 AM.
                OLIKA
                www.olika.de

Comment

Hey, I don't have answers for any of these off the top of my head - they should not happen, but if you can send a setup that breaks here for us, we can check if these are bugs and fix them or make sure they don't happen otherwise.

Cheers!

Comment

Good morning Svetlin.Nikolov ,
                    you have no clue, hihi yeah that's even more interesting
                    I would love to have a different pair of eyes looking at it. As i mentioned earlier, it could be many things as it is a test scene where at some places i pretty much tortured the values i.e. in the oceantex or having two waveforces etc. etc.
                    But maybe it's a totally different thing which causes trouble as for example simple settings like the clear inside stuff.
                    Really looking forward what you discover hitting the sim button at your place.
                    Just send you the scene right now @ support
                    OLIKA
                    www.olika.de

Comment

Thanks. Got the scene! We'll let you know when we have more info on what is going on!

Cheers!
                      Georgi Zhekov
                      Phoenix Product Manager
                      Chaos

Comment

cool! georgi.zhekov thx for joining in!
                        i have to repeat it`s a private project for testing purpose, so no client pressure involved in any way.
                        Nonetheless i think it's a interesting attemp with the whole crashing wave thing.

As i'm fiddling with the scene here too i will also keep sharing my enlightments if there are any

Update:
                        i collapsed the collider objects finally as there were some fdd and stuff on it, and maybe more important, i also xresetted the collider objects (ground and rocks)
                        seems to give a different result, looks a bit cleaner at the ground, seems to clean out some stuff at the bottom of the beach and let's see if it influences forces behavior then also.

As i'm off to berlin from tomorrow till sunday i will go for the brutal approach now with fine grid (80mio fluid particles) and 3 spf.
                        Also installed a new scratch ssd for faster writing and reading of cachefiles.
                        Let's see
                        Last edited by olika; 28-07-2020, 10:26 AM.
                        OLIKA
                        www.olika.de

Comment

Update:

Hmm seems spf 3 and double the grid cells does not clean out the bumby surface at all.
                          Looks like the surface is not impressed at all by the changes and heavy sim.
                          As you also can see, the surface around the wave looks fine so it's not all over the place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean_Wave_Bumpy_Force.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1079317
                          OLIKA
                          www.olika.de

Comment

Maybe it is some combination of displacement and the sim surface causing the issue? I am just thinking out loud here...

Comment

speaking of waves this one is looking really nice! think its the best I have seen
                              https://www.instagram.com/minhnguyen...QwWy48KZHNfRG0https://www.instagram.com/minhnguyen...QwWy48KZHNfRG0

It's on the PHX facebook page and not sure he is a member here, settings looks pretty standard and he uses geometry moving for the sim like in a real wavepool but he says he has issues with render times.

Comment

Yup, looks like all important optimization options of the particle shaders are at defaults..

Comment

Working...
                                X