• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly what I thought trick!
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

wow. looks like scripted material wrappers..like the egz materials?
      i agree it's stupid. but many people were crying for this.
      previously popular applications like lightscape, artlantis etc. always worked with material templates, instead of abstract, flexible shaders. the concept of building your own shader seems to be difficult to understand.
      after all a house is just a bunch of boxes and extruded shapes...i think many archviz professionals have no clue about 3dsmax, they just import their autocad data, assign materials and render away.
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by plastic_
        wow. looks like scripted material wrappers..like the egz materials?
        I looked at what I think is the simian site and egz looks like the contact there. Maybe he decided to sell his mats instead of giving them away......now where did I write down the company credit card info :P

Comment

Yep, we created these materials. Our company, Simian, was contracted by VisMasters to develop them.
          The idea is the same as with the egzVRayMaterials, except these are more advanced. All the parameters you would need to adjust, like glossiness, reflection strength and IOR etc. are still fully adjustable, so they are not locked to one look. The materials are designed to have good defaults and presets, have an uncluttered UI with only the necessary controls, and thus be time saving in production. We designed them around what we ourselves needed, and are using them in productions right now. If you are a VRay power user these materials might not be as attractive, but I wouldn't go as far as call them stupid.

As for the price, I won't comment on that, since we developed the materials as contract work and are not selling them ourselves.
          Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Great work Torgier.
            Is there any chance of adding a feature to save the material presets so they appear in the pull down?
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
              Great work Torgier.
              Is there any chance of adding a feature to save the material presets so they appear in the pull down?
              Thanks!
              This is something we are considering for a point release. It is doable, but we wanted to focus on the main features for the first release.

Comment

cool. I will play with it some more to see if I can think of some more things for it.
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

interesting. it looks alright. I'll never buy it, nor recommend anyone else buy it, but looks nice nonetheless. I guess my overriding concern is that those that really should be learning to make those mats themselves, won't, and will always be dependent on them.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Torgeir,

Can you tell me what is the difference between the Wood and Linoleum shader ?

Comment

Originally posted by trick
                      Can you tell me what is the difference between the Wood and Linoleum shader ?
                      These are very similar materials since both Wood and Linoelum need the same parameters, the difference is in the default settings, the presets and the included textures.

Comment

So does this mean no more egz materials or further development of those that you released?
                        rpc212
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

Originally posted by egz
                          ...These are very similar materials since both Wood and Linoelum need the same parameters, the difference is in the default settings, the presets and the included textures.
                          Thanks for the info
                          In other words: when using the same texture and the same parameters, both shaders give the same output ? Do both shaders have the same controllers ? What's the resolution of the supplied textures ? Are both Backburner and distributed rendering supported ?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, it is great that this is being done, but this is in fact such basic functionality that it shoud be part of the application rather than a plugin. What happens when you update Vray? You will probably need to wait for an update, no?
                            You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Originally posted by rpc212
                              So does this mean no more egz materials or further development of those that you released?
                              No, I have an update of the current egzMaterials almost ready to release as well. It's been sitting on my disk for a while. I just need to finish a few details.

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
                                Don't get me wrong, it is great that this is being done, but this is in fact such basic functionality that it shoud be part of the application rather than a plugin. What happens when you update Vray? You will probably need to wait for an update, no?
                                I agree that it would be nice to have all this as part of the application, but since it isn't part of it there is a market for these, and it is better do create something than sitting around waiting and hoping

There should be no reason to wait for an update with new VRay versions as it will be compatible unless the VRay material parameters change, and changing them could break old scenes, so it is not likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X