X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on V-Ray 2.0

Hello,

We are happy to announce the upgrade, release and pricing information on V-Ray 2.0 for 3ds Max

Click here to view the official V-Ray 2.0 information

This page does not include future feature list or future plans on releases, as those are still considered to be confidential. Additional information will posted soon.

In the meanwhile if you wish to purchase V-Ray 1.5 you can do so and you will be eligible for an upgrade discount when V-Ray 2.0 is released.

If you decide not to upgrade to V-Ray 2.0 - it is entirely up to you. We will support V-Ray 1.5 and V-Ray RT 1.5 until the release of V-Ray 3.0. We will not include new features to 1.5, but this support will include bug fix releases, compiling new builds for new versions of 3ds Max and the general support that we have always provided through e-mails, forums and phone free of charge.

The upgrade and pre-orders will start on November 1, 2010

Additional information will be posted once it becomes available.

A few very important key notes:
    - V-Ray RT and V-Ray RT GPU will be part of V-Ray 2.0
    - If you wish to test V-Ray RT GPU - you have to purchase V-Ray RT. If you do so - you will be eligible for a discount when upgrading afterwards to V-Ray 2.0.
    - More information on the V-Ray RT GPU beta program can be found here:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...U-beta-program

Feel free to ask us any questions - we will be happy to reply.

Cheers
    Peter
    ...keep walking...

i think your upgrade pricing structure is messed up... since RT becomes free for anyone who did not purchase it seperatly before.
    people who did, like me should at least be give a better pricing than 400 euro accross the board....

claude_tnt

ps. for all you who thinks i might be wrong.. i am struggling and trying to do the right thing.. so don't judge me, you don't know my situation.
    Originally posted by 3DMK
    do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

We realize there will be people who feel this way - we went through all the different scenarios and each was considered carefully before making the final decision - but hopefully V-Ray RT has helped your workflow, and now you have the chance to play with the GPU version.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

another no win battle....thanks...

caddworkx

Comment

I agree with Claude....I see your point to Vlado but users who support chaos group products buying them( like RT) now after few months it's like we did for nothing, we have to pay the same amount like everybody else ....in some way we(RT users) financed Chaos to get RT CPU & GPU alive.

Fernando
          show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
            I agree with Claude....I see your point to Vlado but users who support chaos group products buying them( like RT) now after few months it's like we did for nothing, we have to pay the same amount like everybody else ....in some way we(RT users) financed Chaos to get RT CPU & GPU alive.
            It is one way of looking at it and we do appreciate your support. But on the other hand, we spent two years on research and development before V-Ray RT for CPU was released - we started work back in spring 2007, and the release was in summer 2009. It was a major undertaking for us and required significant efforts to implement. This is what you paid for when you purchased V-Ray RT - and hopefully it contributed to improving your workflow.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I have to agree with Claude and Flino here. A bunch of us adopted Vray RT early on (I bought it when it was first released) and paid well over $500 US for something which was usable, but not without some serious bugs. In my case, having to use a different method for RT (due to Linear Workflow issues) left it useless - I simply haven't used it because of that specific incompatibility. I know that a few others were probably in a similar situation. I was more than happy to support Chaosgroup with that purchase because you kept releasing really great updates for Vray over the years, but in this economy, it's a real kick to the nuts.

I'm looking at this "VrayRT GPU" as if it's one gigantic VrayRT bug fix (with of course some nice new implementation) since most of the Chaosgroup resources seems to have been spent on this since I last checked this forum. At first I thought you guys were going to announce that 2.0 would be free to those who already purchased VrayRT previously. However, these new charges come as a complete shock.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

it's a real kick to the nuts
                ..oouch.. i thought it was a slap to the face....but like i said.. i think it's a no-win-battle. i dont expect free.. but $510.00 is a chunk of money i don't have..

claude...
                Last edited by claude_tnt; 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM.

caddworkx

Comment

Well I just bought it what seems like a year ago - might have even pre-ordered it (don't recall the exact details.) Didn't use it cause of the LWF issue. And now according to the pricing structure are getting charged full upgrade prices. I'd also say that is a kick. $510 is also something I don't have and many others in a similar situation - I'm just getting by at the moment in this economy and may have to start flipping burgers soon. Hate to say it but MR is starting to look attractive.
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee View Post
                    A bunch of us adopted Vray RT early on (I bought it when it was first released) and paid well over $500 US for something which was usable, but not without some serious bugs.
                    Hm, where did you buy it from? I don't think it ever sold for that much.

In my case, having to use a different method for RT (due to Linear Workflow issues) left it useless - I simply haven't used it because of that specific incompatibility. I know that a few others were probably in a similar situation.
                    It is something that we still intend to fix without you having to pay for it.

I'm looking at this "VrayRT GPU" as if it's one gigantic VrayRT bug fix (with of course some nice new implementation) since most of the Chaosgroup resources seems to have been spent on this since I last checked this forum.
                    V-Ray RT and GPUs are one thing, but V-Ray 2.0 is not all about that; we have done many improvements to V-Ray itself in many areas. After all, the upgrade is per V-Ray license, not per V-Ray RT license.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I have feeling that we have a lot of freelancers that are unhappy because of the new system... was wondering if during chaosgroup debate was there topic to divide society on to Freelancers and professionals studios? I think a lot of us would buy vray for freelance/fun if we could afford it, and studios would pay normal commercial fee...
                      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

If you were a huge corporation like ADesk I would really understand a simplifief upgrade pricing system. But as Chaosgroup and how you started your business in the early Vray days, I really don't understand why you wouldn 't give VRay RT users an extra (eg) 50 euro discount. I know a lot of users supported RT but didn't use it because of their IRR/LC workflow (at least until recently). This is not about pricing (400 surely is not too much) but about community!

Comment

Yes, I understand that and I will certainly let the sales guys know about this discussion.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Hmmm...I guess I am a little conflicted here. I see where some of you are coming from, but you can't have everything for free.

I think that the fee structure is pretty affordable. I too work in a very small studio where money is tight, but VRay is at the core of what we do here. I feel that the upgrade cost is rather low considering that I haven't had to pay for an update for over 4years! Compare that with any other piece of software that you need to stay current with, ie. Photoshop, 3DS Max, Nuke, etc...

I guess if work is that slow, I would question the need for upgrading software period. I know many people have been hit hard and this will definitely impact their ability to upgrade, but at the same time I would like to see continued development and I am willing to pay for that.

I personally can't wait until I can send in my pre-order payment!
                            Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                            Midwest Studios

Comment

Sadly but I must join the group of the disappointed people about the upgrade price policy!
                              I think we all agree on the unvalueable work and support Chaos has done during these years and we all know that no one among us has paid for the previous upgrade; last but not least, Chaos as owner and developer has all the rights to decide the pricing policy.

That said, IMHO, the upgrade policy could be better and more balanced if taking someway in consideration the RT CPU current users, even a symbolic price difference could be enough; let me suggest, as an example:

upgrade for a vray only user € 400
                              upgrade for a vray + vray rt user € 300
                              or
                              upgrade for a vray only user € 500
                              upgrade for a vray + vray rt user € 400
                              here the difference is € 100 but it could be whatever you think adequate.

As others said, it's not a metter of price

Otherwise it seems to me that RT users are going to pay for the free upgrade of others users (ex. summer bundle)

my 2 cents
                              Last edited by zeronove; 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM. Reason: clearance
                              Alessandro

Comment

Working...
                              X