Embree raycaster for V-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
    So this is now in the latest nightly builds for V-Ray for Maya; unfortunately, only for Maya 2013 on Windows (due to compiler issues). Go to Create > V-Ray > Create/select Embree raycaster.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Vlado & Chaos group u guys are epic.

THANKSSS!!!!! =D
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• Originally posted by ricorio View Post
      sounds like a nice thing ... but when I render a head with FastSSS2 the render time with the vrayNodeEmbree (BVH4 and default) is: Total sequence time 0h 10m 1.4s (601.4 s).
      Without the vrayNodeEmbree: Total sequence time 0h 6m 46.5s (406.5 s).
      Like I mentioned in the original thread, this is somewhat scene specific. For the scenes that I tested, the speed up was between 10% and 25%, but your mileage will vary. Still, it would be useful to take a look at your scene - if you can send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com I will be able to profile it to see what's going on.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• seems like i tested it with a good working scene. nothing heavy (139000 tris, hdr reflections and refractions, dome and area light) but rendered ~20% faster. so thank you.

Comment

• I'm curious that it'll be accelerated by Intel's Xeon Phi.
          :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

• I got 1 second on maya speed up
            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• I am trying to use vrayEmbree in maya (Go to Create > V-Ray > Create/select Embree raycaster) but I get a unknown node. I am using vray built 22515 for maya 2013 in linux.

Comment

• I mentioned this before, I think; it's only available on Windows builds. For the moment we have no way to compile it on Linux - it requires some newer compiler features which are not available in gcc 4.1 (the recommended compiler for Maya on Linux). We will remove the UI for Linux.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

• Just installed this plugin. With a small scene with DOF and a drop of water as the main element I see a drop from 3:00 to 2:52 per frame. This is with three 2600k processors. I wonder if DOF reduces its effectiveness? I'll test it on other scenes when this animation is done. No motion blur or proxies and geo. is set to static. Max 2013. I'm on bhv4. Also tried bhv4 spatial and the default.

Pretty cool stuff, though. Can't wait to keep testing it and to see proxy support!

Dan

EDIT: Weird, now when I add the helper to the same scene it crashes it when I try to render. Nothing much has changed, just some FFD modifiers and tweaks to my morpher modifier and a bit more tweaking to the animation.
                  Last edited by danio; 27-01-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Great news that Embree is available in Maya!
                    I tried it on a scene with a giant displacement map where the rendertime actually increased by 4 seconds with Embree. Probably very scene-specific though, or perhaps it is not as good with displacements...?
                    /Bard
                    www.hellobard.com
                    Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) - Motion graphics artist

Comment

• It's not good for displacements/subdivisions at all; it only helps for scenes with regular meshes.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

• The download page says for vray 2.3, will it work with 2.4?
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

• Yes, it should work with 2.4

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

• Great to know vlado, thanks!

Oh and, I see there is an Use Embree for motion blur option, does this also mean that Embree is faster for motion blur?
                            And can one turn off Enabled on Embree for general rendering, but on for motion blur?

I did another test with straight geometry, displacement turned off and with Embree enabled the render time went up from 4m 54s to 6m 30s (!)...
                            /Bard
                            www.hellobard.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hellobard View Post
                              I did another test with straight geometry, displacement turned off and with Embree enabled the render time went up from 4m 54s to 6m 30s (!)...
                              This is odd; can you get me the scene?

About the motion blur, it's a bit debatable; most of the times it's faster, but not always.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

• sure vlado, I'll send you a download link. It's a pretty hefty scene with an alembic cache connected.
                                /Bard
                                www.hellobard.com

Comment

Working...
                                X