Build 3.20 available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vlado View Post
    This one I couldn't test; CRD never worked for me.

I tested with LogMeIn and Remote Desktop.

Note that you must first click somewhere in the VFB image so that it gets the keyboard focus.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Damn, doesn't seem to work in CRD. The +/- are entered correctly if I'm editing the frame stamp but as soon as I click into the image nothing happens. Works fine in Mocha VNC however.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      I'd STRONGLY encourage you guys to try out an LC/LC render of some simple, diffuse-only, interior scene, with and without "leak prevention" on.
      What you will see will make you smile, I'm sure.
      I'm not sure how it's supposed to work but for me it's certainly not helping the scene...

Click image for larger version

Name:	LC-LC Test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	856223

All I get are black splotches around all of my edges. Admittedly it's not a "simple" scene but what's the point otherwise. This is after a full reset of vray and just switching the Primary GI to LC. What am I missing?
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
        I'm not sure how it's supposed to work but for me it's certainly not helping the scene...
        The direct view of the light cache won't show you anything too meaningful; the black splotches will not affect the render with BF+LC or IM+LC. They are just showing areas where V-Ray will fall back to brute force instead of using the light cache.

If you still have trouble with your scene, best to send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com to take a look.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The direct view of the light cache won't show you anything too meaningful; the black splotches will not affect the render with BF+LC or IM+LC. They are just showing areas where V-Ray will fall back to brute force instead of using the light cache.
          Thanks - makes a bit more sense now.

Comment

Thank you for fixing the openCL device selector windows 8 crash bug! Any chance you could add this functionality to the RT render dialog in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by etown View Post
              Thank you for fixing the openCL device selector windows 8 crash bug! Any chance you could add this functionality to the RT render dialog in the future?
              Yes. Will be in for the next service pack.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

So, four images, showing two scenarios:
                *) the OLD Lightcache approach, with filtering at rendertime (needed to prevent light leaks as much as possible without using retrace), without retrace or leak prevention first, and with retrace, but without leak prevention, then.
                *) the NEW default, with leak prevention on, PRE-filtering (now eminently usable without fear of leaks), and retrace.

Name:	standard_LC+filter.png
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	856225 Click image for larger version

Name:	standard_LC+filter+BF_2m43s.png
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	856226 Click image for larger version

Name:	standard_LC+filter+retrace+BF_2m43s.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	856228

Name:	LeakPrevention_LC.png
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	856227 Click image for larger version

Name:	LeakPrevention_LC+BF_1m33s.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	856230

EDIT: 5! details to observe, here:
                *) The OLD LC approach took 2:43, versus 1:33.
                *) The OLD LC approach shows a washed off look, without retrace, with plenty of leaks (check by the big chair's details...), and it would have flickered like mad if we animated the camera (not to mention lights or geo...).
                *) The OLD LC render looks much better with retrace active, at no rendertime penalty, and yet is unable to reproduce the lovely contrast seen in the NEW approach.
                *) The NEW render is marginally noisier in the BF part as a result of the many more smaller samples in the LC. There is PLENTY headroom in the rendertimes to warrant a "free" raise of the BF sampling to more than make up for the difference.
                *) One VERY IMPORTANT, emergent point from this little tickbox: There is now no more need, NONE AT ALL, to modify the LC settings: not subdivs, not sample size, from their default. Leak prevention will take care of all that's needed, automagically.

I'm sure Vlado will have more ideas to offer regarding this.
                This is just what i gathered testing it.
                Last edited by ^Lele^; 03-06-2015, 07:42 AM. Reason: mistake in the images! P.S.: make sure to hit refresh on the browser.
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

dome light orientation line?

(*) VRayLight: Added a line that shows the orientation of the dome lights in the viewport, it also shows the center of VRayHDRI wrapping
                  ...where can I find it? I dont see any feature in the vray dome light settings...
                  www.vis-art.de
                  www.facebook.com/visart3d

Comment

There's no setting. Just the dome light icon has one of the base lines protruding slightly.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I am Sorry! i found it. The little small line was hidden by my rigged vray sun...
                      www.vis-art.de
                      www.facebook.com/visart3d

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        So, four images, showing two scenarios:
                        *) the OLD Lightcache approach, with filtering at rendertime (needed to prevent light leaks as much as possible without using retrace), without retrace or leak prevention first, and with retrace, but without leak prevention, then.
                        *) the NEW default, with leak prevention on, PRE-filtering (now eminently usable without fear of leaks), and retrace.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24515[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24518[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]24517[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks so much Lele for testing and posting this. However, are the images correct? I don't see a Leak prevention ON +BF image and the 2nd and 5th images seem identical (the 5th image is also titled "Standard LC...").

Comment

Thanks, edited now!
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                          X