No announcement yet.

Chaos Group and VRay 1.5 at SIGGRAPH - booth #2101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vray mesh DOES support multi sub materials! just apply the material prior to export and then reapply the ,aterial to the proxy, or use the auto create proxy option.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

And 9 out of 10 times you can't use the proxy, as it's only good for 1 object with 1 material which is never really used, atleast not by me.
      You can export any number of objects; there is no limitation on the number of proxies you can have in the scene. You can export multiple objects to multiple files simultaneously too, while preserving their original materials.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i think you missunderstood what suurland means.
        but i could be wrong so i let him explain.

Comment

i managed to export many different objects with different materials into a proxy with one single step, but there i had some problems with the rendered images, like slightly wrong reflections.
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

RErender, my bad.. That might solve some of my "problems"

The only time I tried using the proxy was with a car that consist of hundres of object and maybe 50 materials I made the proxy object and when I put it in a new scene it just came in as one big object with one material which was ofcourse useless to me and when I tried rendering it with 1.45 it even crashed but that's another story.

/Thomas
            www.suurland.com
            www.cg-source.com
            www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

just a note about directly modify the scene file, if u put all the scene data into one file, when it grows the possibility to edit properly will be less and less, if u separate the settings into an other file it will be much-much better.I ve' done this on many other command line renderer and it really sucks on bigger files(when u save it). The other thing the parsing also could take incredible amount of memory.

Comment

I'd love to see how far you can push it Suurland.

Here is a render of 300 50k vans that I exported to vrmesh and rendered about 15 million faces, memory usage was stable at 1.2 GB

Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

here is the trick with your proxy objects with multiple materials. if everything is converted to editable poly objects and then you attach them all and use the function to set material ID's to materials. then it means that your new single object has all the materials set in one multi-subobject material. when you goto do your proxy use the "multiple objects" option even though its now a single mesh. this will allow the multi-subobject material i think. i cant remember.

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Opacity mapping 1.45

Vray needs an overhaul with the use of opacity mapping.
                    I know there is an opacity map slot but does this improve the speed?

Ive only just relised it takes vray 4 x longer to render 1 speed tree than the scan line renderer?

Is there plans to have better integration with speed tree in regards to the speed of rendering?

TonyM
                    Tony MacDonald
                    Arterra Interactive

Comment

Re: Opacity mapping 1.45

Vray needs an overhaul with the use of opacity mapping.
                      I know there is an opacity map slot but does this improve the speed?
                      Yes, it does improve the speed quite a bit. Instead of using refraction to calculate the final result like VRay did before, the opacity slot uses a simple blend, like scanline would do.
                      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

yeah ok thanks. i just tried a quick test:

1 x speed tree model
                        standard materials
                        fixed rate
                        a whopping 9minutes!!!

1 x speed tree model
                        vray materials
                        fixed rate
                        2minutes and 37secounds!

but wait!
                        3dstudiomax's awesome scan line renderer
                        1 x speed tree model
                        standard materials
                        a massive 11 secounds!

what's going on with that?
                        vray is causing some major difficulties for us when creating trees and planting with speedtree, actually any tree software using opactity maps. we now have to weigh up using vray at all for current animation projects?
                        any ideas?

Tonym[/b]
                        Tony MacDonald
                        Arterra Interactive

Comment

are you using the latest test build with the opacity map slot? and on the scanline renderer test, were you using raytrace shadows?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

uhh, tony you thought GI was free? anyways try turning off generate GI for the leaves ...
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

why do you assume hes using GI in his tests? I didn't get that impression anywhere.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Why use V-Ray then? There is nothing in V-Ray that makes it a choice over Scanline except GI(the big one), DOF or True motion blur.... oh and very lare data sets...
                                Eric Boer
                                Dev

Comment

Working...
                                X