Translucency/Fog Clarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translucency/Fog Clarity?

Is there any way to adjust the clarity of a material when having translucency/fog applied? I'm trying to make a topaz material while using the light multiplier effect found below the translucency. I use this because Topaz and Rubies tend to amplify lightwaves.

Refraction is set to clear, but I can't get the material to refract completely clear - looks to have low subdivs instead.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Try making it a more pure color by increasing the value. Blackness can make an effect like that look muttled especially with something like a yellow hue.

More information? Post a pic.

--Jon

Comment

With Translucency on:

With Translucency off:

Settings:

I'm searching for a blend of the two- but ideally more of the second image faceted with a blue pole on the interior instead of the green showing through.

Comment

maybe try increasing the thickness, not sure if it will help with the new translucency modeling.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

I've been going back and forth- didn't seem to work.

Comment

did you try a lot, like +10000?
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

nothing. even tried 100,000. that thickness parameter is such a weird parameter- the numbers really don't make much sense...

Comment

The biggest flaw I've found with the vray material is that it doesn't seem to cater for transparent materials which also have translucency.

In the past when I've wanted to create translucent transparent materials I've used a blend of two materials - typically transparent (refractive only) vray mat, plus a translucenct vray mat - and used either blend, shellac or a composite type material type to blend them together.

Its been quite effective in the past, but the recent alterations to the translucency algorithm in the 1.46.13 build has...CHANGED...previously successful results. Grrr. And you just wait till you start using translucent objects with another object iside them, the new algorithm does some strange things with that. Still, the two material blend principal should still be sound, so I hope you have some success with it.

Comment

Try blue in the fog color and not the exit maybe.

--Jon

Comment

Nope. Doesnt work either. Exit color was turned off (as far as I know unless that checkbox does something else.)

Comment

@all - thanks guys.

@s7en - that hurts my head...

Comment

ive noticed the same problem.... pretty impossible to create a realistic ice material with tranlucency since the whole thing becomes completely cloudy...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I'm not sure if you need translucency here, same for ice.

Translucency is the effect of transporting light below the surface of a model. So every 'transparant' material is translucent, also clear glass, it's also 'transporting light'.

I think it's a matter of judgement when a material is called translucent or transparant (because actually it's the same thing). It's translucent when the material has a certain degree of "not_able_to_see_through_it-ness".

So in the case of materials that should stay transparant, I think you're better of using no translucency but only a combination of fog-refraction-glossyness.

I've also been playing with translucency lately and came to this conclusion after trying the same as you, making a translucent material transparant

Do you have a pic of what you're trying to create?

The thickness parameter works well for me. It sets the depth of which the light passes through the material.
                          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

@flipside - initially, the material I was shooting for was Topaz - but as you can see I got sidetracked having noticed something completely different. No I don''t have any pictures to decribe clarity blending:

I guess what I'm trying to say that it seems like it is an ALL or NOTHING issue. No in-between for transparency or translucency. Would be nice to have controls to be able to blend the two more effectively.

As a side- how come that green is coming through green in a blue glass on the second example? It should have the additive effect of becoming a darker bluish shade instead.

Comment

Working...
                            X