Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analysis if texture resolution is big enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't uneccessary overcomplicate this. Maybe just something like the lightmap resolution preview in the unreal engine. There is basically no need to define the perfect resolution. This is up to the user to decide. Just a visual helper to view the resolution. It probabely would be even better to make this not a render element but a viewport feature within max.

Edit:
    Example: Link below doesn' t work.
    http://i.imgur.com/mStJcIH.png
    Last edited by samuel_bubat; 09-07-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

It is definietly difficult to show all the textures used (diffuse, glossiness, bump etc) in one map.
      So either a list would be good or multiple render elements need to be created, with the different slots in the material. One for diffuse, one for bump, one for gloss etc.
      I would just love to know how much a bitmap was resized to fit the current rendering.
      Sometimes even mip-mapping wouldnt cut making use of all my vram and I had to go in and use Pixamoons bitmap tracking/resize script to make the largest textures smaller; I guess then they truely werent big enough for my rendering but they did the job; but really KNOWING what size would be the appropiate would help, instead of having to go and analyze the rendering by my own old eyes.

@^Lele^ thanks for the script! I will try it out with a separate folder so nothing gets overwritten or broken.
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
        It is definietly difficult to show all the textures used (diffuse, glossiness, bump etc) in one map.
        So either a list would be good or multiple render elements need to be created, with the different slots in the material. One for diffuse, one for bump, one for gloss etc.
        That alone would be difficult. But that' just the start. Imagine having multiple bitmaps with different tilings and sizes for example in a mix or composite map within the diffuse slot. How should that be handled? Sometimes when I make landscapes for example I have something like 8 or more different bitmaps just in the diffuse slot.

Comment

it would probably be hard to read that RE if you stack the textures with different opacity values. if they are masked more or less black and white, it would be easier. but you are right...in the end we would have colorful mash that noone can understand haha
          Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
          www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
            @^Lele^ thanks for the script! I will try it out with a separate folder so nothing gets overwritten or broken.
            You're welcome!
            It will just create new files (and overwrite old .tx ones) only.
            Just make sure it's a set of folders for which you have write rights, and it ought to be as easy as click, click, wait.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I use the .tx file linked below to analyse and debug resolution issues. It's a regular texture file, but with every mipmap resolution step replaced with a unique pattern and color. Add it as an extra text element, and it simply exposes exactly which resolution VRay picks in any given situation, depending on resolution, filter size, camera distance, etc.
              Our texture artists and modellers use it to roughly estimate how many udims at which resolution are needed for a given model. Like, if we do X udims at X resolution, is that enough? Or do we need more udims to avoid having to work with 8k or 16k files?

The beauty of it is that it's an ordinary texture, and it's simply revealing what VRay is doing under the hood to that or any other texture in a given situation. A dedicated debugging render element would be nice, but it would need the same filtering options as you find in a file node.

I had to track these links down through the internet archive as the original blog seems to be down. Get them before they disappear.

Here's the texture itself:
              http://www.j3pnyc.com/goodies/j3p_uv..._debug_8ksq.tx

Here's a reference sheet of what the colors and patterns represent:
              https://web.archive.org/web/20180520...ion_legend.png
              Last edited by dgruwier; 23-07-2019, 02:17 AM.
              __
              https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

This is genius! I have to check this out. Thanks for the links!
                www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Amazing, that's quite the clever trick. Thanks so much.
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                  X