No announcement yet.

Ambient and Reflection Occlusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice shaders and again defenatly nice to see people eploring the SDK ( and nice there is an SDK )...

that video.....holly crap thats well done...

Comment

I wouldn't use it for an entire scene. Just some objects that frankly dont need perfect glossy reflections but need to mask out innerreflections. You may be right, but Im going to cross my fingers anyways.

I suppose it would only be useful in very specific situations, since most likely alot of objects you could get away with just using a blurred reflection map, probably could get away without using RO anyways.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Just saw the Movie File...

and

Please post that in the Image Uploads Forum so everyone can enjoy this.
        Sascha Geddert
        www.geddart.de

Comment

Holy bat crap!!!
          Thats amazing. Probabaly one of the best promotional car movies i have ever seen. And that leather close up....mmmmmm gooooood

Comment

Good lord! That movie is incredible!
            Tim Nelson
            timnelson3d.com

Comment

I agree that the glossy reflections are already very fast. And in most situations you will need more bounces anyway. But in some situations the RO map may be a real timesaver if used as a mask.

For the comparison of GI and AO. These are two totally different beasts. And they give different results. For example for the car shots we used Gi for the exterior scenes. But for the interior the results of Gi were not what we wanted:

It defined the overall lighting situation too much and didn't allow the "photo studio" type of lighting we had to achieve. Using more bounces would have blasted the rendertimes. The seats had to move in some shots so we couldnt prerender an irradiance map.
              An AO pass allows to shadow only the small niches and details without affecting the overall lighting too much.

By the way, here are some exterior shots:

bclass1
              bclass2
              bclass4
              bclass5
              bclass6

Dieter
              --------
              visit my developer blog

Comment

dude, all those links link to the first movie you showed us

Comment

Sorry,
                  they should be fine now.
                  --------
                  visit my developer blog

Comment

simply fantastic.

really impressive stuff!!!!

Comment

Fantastic work,
                      One of the (if not 'the') best advertisment for Vray I have seen, and a damm good ad for MB aswell,

paying homage

Tom
                      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

great info. Now if you could just share how you encoded it with such fabulous quality and fairly low file sizes.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

The windows media encoder is a free download from microsoft. It uses the wmv9 codec that is really good for HD. The original files were full HD 1920 x 1080. With true 3D Motion Blur, global illumination and glossy reflections this gave us pretty high rendering times.
                          --------
                          visit my developer blog

Comment

Originally posted by dimo
                            For the comparison of GI and AO. These are two totally different beasts. And they give different results. For example for the car shots we used Gi for the exterior scenes. But for the interior the results of Gi were not what we wanted:
                            Well as someone that uses AO and RO in renderman everyday, I find the AO and RO solutions to be hacks that are riddled with issues. Please don't misunderstand me. I think what you did was very successful and looks amazing, but I always wonder what would happen if the solution would allow for light bounce and color bleeding. I also think that convolved environment lookups can be very problematic compared to HDRI skydomes.

On the other hand, the results that you presented speak for themselves, and most of this discussion is a question of semantics. As well as the fact that real car lighting is filled with hacks as well...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224337

I am assuming that you were using 1.09 and not the latest beta. If so, have you tested the latest beat? I am wondering how the light cache techniques would work...

Comment

As far as I can recall we used 1.45.10 for those renderings. Since we had moving parts in the interior (the seats) we couldn't prerender an IRMap. All tests with GI + secondary bounces + Motionblur lead to very high rendertimes. The AO solution however performed very well. Bouncelights and so on were all faked with traditional lighting techniques.

Dieter
                              --------
                              visit my developer blog

Comment

well it sounds like you have your technique down solid. Yeah no color bleed with AO definitely is an issue which is why I have never tried it.

Comment

Working...
                                X