No announcement yet.

Gamma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For years now there is an option for 2.2 display correction. you will get your blacks exactly how you need them to look on images saved with 2.2 from 3ds max.

there is also option now to bake the display correction with the image.
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
      For years now there is an option for 2.2 display correction. you will get your blacks exactly how you need them to look on images saved with 2.2 from 3ds max.

there is also option now to bake the display correction with the image.
      Where is that option?
      www.gaell.com

Comment

Here. Notice its option to bake the conversion to the RGB output.
        Attached Files
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

never used the new one but since “lookup table” correction/layer has “save in image” option I was using it with empty lut file to get log color conversion from VFB - there is srgb conversion as well.
          Attached Files
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
            never used the new one but since “lookup table” correction/layer has “save in image” option I was using it with empty lut file to get log color conversion from VFB - there is srgb conversion as well.
            oh, the lateral thought, there.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
              oh, the lateral thought, there.
              haha
              yes, I’m pretty proud of this one
              Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

everytime i feel ive understood the whole linear process thing, something else comes up. I admit i seem to be pretty ignorant with this kind of thing but what is the 'bake the conversion to the RGB output.' doing? Is the reason im seeing no difference between images saved out from VFB with 'no display correction' and 'sRGB correction' with the bake option ticked because im opening the image in Photoshop?

Last edited by francomanko; 11-03-2021, 12:34 PM.
                e: info@adriandenne.com
                w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

ok, I think I made a mistake about "there is also option now to bake the display correction with the image".
                  I just remembered new option in display correction layer (save something something..) and made an assumption that that was simply "save in image".
                  seems rather something rgb vs acescg primaries used for calculations. have no experience with that.
                  Marcin Piotrowski
                  youtube

Comment

the ACES workflow seems to be following in the 'informational nightmare' footsteps of linear workflow to me
                    e: info@adriandenne.com
                    w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                      everytime i feel ive understood the whole linear process thing, something else comes up. I admit i seem to be pretty ignorant with this kind of thing but what is the 'bake the conversion to the RGB output.' doing? Is the reason im seeing no difference between images saved out from VFB with 'no display correction' and 'sRGB correction' with the bake option ticked because im opening the image in Photoshop?
                      Consider most EXRs to be saved linearly, while most LDR (8bpc) images will be saved with a baked gamma.
                      The reason, come to think of it, is simple: the gamma operation is much better done in full floating point precision (what you see in the VFB is 32bpc, regardless of what one will save out) than in integers, besides the historical reasons for old, LDR formats to have a 2.2 gamma or sRGB transform baked in.
                      The gamma operation on 16 or 32 bpc (half) float imagery can then be executed later without any loss due to low precision (fusion, nuke, PS with 32bit mode, Affinity, etc.).

Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X