AO shader ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO shader ???

maybe i´m not up to date.....is there already an ao shader for vray ? similar to the one in mr where you can combine the ao shader with other materials. very very helpful !! and it would save my life at the moment :-/ otherwise i have to switch to mr for the current project....which would not be ....nice.....

Rumor has it that with 1.5 there will be a AO and RO. http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ic.php?t=11245

In the mean time try this.

http://plugins.angstraum.at/vrayao/index.htm
    Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
    Director

Chaos Group

Comment

You might like this script then... works with 5, 6, or 7 but Vray 1.42 or higher only. Kinda a faked solution but it's easy and works pretty well at the higher subdivs.

http://plugins.angstraum.at/vrayao/index.htm

It's alos in scriptspot if you check there.
      Paolo Hilario
      GLASSANVILSTUDIOS
      http://www.glassanvistudios.com

Comment

yes, i have that script. but as i understand it works more like an "override material"....i need more than "just" the b/w picture...this is the point.

Comment

Why not just use a thr VrayDome light... it is essentially the same

Comment

You know what I've been wondering is, is Ambient Occlusion really faster then GI? If you look at those tutorials out there, you'll notice that the process requires you to render the scene up to four times. If it was just a simple "add OC pass" step then I could understand it but it starts to look like a hassle in my view.

-=GB=-
            Galen Beals
            Animator/Technical Director
            Portland, Oregon

Comment

can´t use domelight it´s an interior !! i know ao is not really much faster BUT i have moving lights and many many moving people in the scene. and an extra pass has also some disadvantages. in MR the method i think about works very well..but it´s MR...i want the same in vray :-/

Comment

There will be an AO shader at some point; if you are interested in its current state, send me an email...

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

would be great...thanks !!!

Comment

AO isnt faster then GI by any means, but it is very different from GI. You can do a lot of things you simply can´t with GI (not only Lighting Passes).

It adds a completely different Level of Control as it is not Lightdependent, but only Geometry dependent.

You can use an AO map to control a lot of things.
                    As an example i used an AO map to control the mixing of a foam material and a water material in a stone basin once. worked like a charm, would be difficult to achieve otherwise and is simply impossible with GI

You can use it to blend a dirt material into chinks of your model etc etc etc

The possibilites are endless. Just take a look at the thread alrteady mentionend above (http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ic.php?t=11245)
                    to see an example of the difference between AO and GI when used as a lightpass.

Thorsten

Comment

the domelight only does environmental AO, so does my script, since it uses the domelight.
                      more interesting would be AO on shader level.
                      i'm looking forward to it.
                      Marc Lorenz
                      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                      www.marclorenz.com
                      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

I'm happy to see an ao shader coming to vray. I've used one in mental ray and it really comes in handy. In my experience its way faster than gi and of course it doesn't flicker. The best thing about it is that it works well in situations with large ranges of detail where gi has trouble.

V Miller

Comment

Seems to me, everyone wishing for a shader based AO solution, are actually just asking for a dirt map shader. Or am I missing something?
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

AO IS a Dirtmap shader

Thorsten

Comment

I don't see any dirt here bclass
                              AO does seem to have some value .
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...