No announcement yet.

AO shader ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dirtmap shader will do exactly that Eric, and you won't have to clean up the dirt afterwards
    Signing out,
    Christian

Comment

yeah I know , and it makes sense that the same topography that would block ambient light would also block the forces that would remove any dirt buildup from a surface, it is really just different names. I guess what you use it for would determine whether to call it AO or Dirtmap.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

...or foam map for that matter :P

Comment

@vlado.. thanks for the offer ...my mail is info@kunstraum.tv

Comment

what current state is the shader in vlado? im having to resort to mentalray AO at the moment. would be usefull if i didnt have to as I have many scenes that will need converting. which all takes time.
            Freelance TD/Generalist
            http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

I have been using VRAY for my color, key shadow and direct light pass and MR AO for my "fake" GI pass, but it would be a lot less hassle if it was all done under one render engine. This is more for interiors than exteriors with the latter i just use the material override and comp the shadow info in later, for which skydome or the script works just fine. Vlado is the VRay AO in a stable form and if so could it be included in the next build ????

Colin

ps so does all this mean we have to have an updated 1.5 feature list? PPT, AO etc

Comment

AO is in the SDK since a while...we had to compile it, tweaked the UI a lil and added reflective AO (incl. Environmental AO) and tweaked some smaller things. Other then that works nice and stable here. Dunno about ChaosĀ“s "Roadmap tho

:P

Comment

Its nice to know I'm not the only one turning to mr for its ao. I don't want to have to do this.

Anybody using ao in mr whats been your experience with render times. I found them to be very fast and I'm hoping Vray's will be faster.

V Miller

Comment

hmm...but why does the material in mr not react to lightsources when ao is in the shader ? any ideas ?

Comment

ThatĀ“s not what itĀ“s supposed to do. ItĀ“s not light-dependent, but geometry-dependent

Thorsten

Comment

yes i know...but it would be great if it also react on lights....hmhm...everytime these limitations

Comment

and sometimes shaders with ao in the slot react on direct light f.e....and sometimes not....i canĀ“t figure out when and why

Comment

Originally posted by vance3d
                            Its nice to know I'm not the only one turning to mr for its ao. I don't want to have to do this.

Anybody using ao in mr whats been your experience with render times. I found them to be very fast and I'm hoping Vray's will be faster.

V Miller
                            very quick. pal res full scenes in around 1.30 per frame. Its mentalray anti aliasing that really kills the rendertimes. it sucks
                            Freelance TD/Generalist
                            http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

agree with you on mr antialiasing. you ever use the ao shader with any falloff shaders? you can get some interesting effects.

V Miller

Comment

Yeah damn AA takes forever. It seems to know where there are window openings in a scene and allows for light to come through so i cant understand why it does not take direct light into account or does it

Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X