How change the download location of the Cosmo Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How change the download location of the Cosmo Browser

It says it can be configured in the docs but I can't seem to find it.

Yes, this needs to be addressed. Free or not, I have immediately uninstalled this due to the
    overly assumptive practice of giving no choice on installation.
    You have to give customers the option to
    organise in the way they wish. Please
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Hi AbeTJH

Sorry to say it is not currently possible to change the file path location for the assets. They are saved by default to C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Chaos Cosmos\Packages. There will be a folder created for each asset.

Users will be allowed to change the storage folder through configuration and it is on our to-do lists. Thanks for the understanding and patience!
      Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

..and just as we speak, we've released information on How to configure the Cosmos Browser asset download directory (on Windows) We are currently working on publishing a documentation article on the matter but we don't want to keep you waiting.

===========================
        When you start downloading Cosmos Assets, these will be saved to a default local directory: C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Chaos Cosmos\Packages

You can change this directory by editing the Cosmos Browser configuration file. To do so:
        1. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ChaosGroup\ChaosCosmos
        2. Open the file config.json with an Editor of your choice, could be Notepad as well
        3. Find the part: "working_dir":"C:\\Users\\[Your User]\\Documents\\Chaos Cosmos" and replace the path with the new desired directory, while preserving the syntax. Save the changes to config.json
        4. Restart the installed Cosmos Browser Service (CCBService).
          To do so, in Windows go to Task Manager>Services.
        5. When the service starts again, it will create two folders under the newly specified directory: Packages and Updates.
        You will be asked to sign in to Cosmos Browser again.
        From this moment on, Cosmos assets will be downloaded to the newly created Packages

Note: Please note that Cosmos assets downloaded previously to the default directory C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Chaos Cosmos\Packages will remain hidden from the Cosmos Browser after the new directory configuration takes effect. So, you need to delete them.
        ===========================

Let us know if you encounter any problems. The final document will contain details for Mac users as well.

This has been further discussed in the Chaos Cosmos Wishlist section here.
        Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 24-02-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I followed the instructions however now Im getting this error whenever I try to import an asset.

Comment

Even though I changed the config.json to:

X:\\3d_Models\\ChaosCosmos

The download location seems to be defaulting to:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ChaosGroup\Content

which is not even the default download location. What am I doing wrong here?

See attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi AbeTJH - is this happening after restarting the Cosmos Browser Service? Can you let us know the exact Cosmos Browser version? Can be found in menu ...>About

Comment

Yes, it still happens after restarting the cosmo browser service. Also have tried restarting Max, and my computer.

Build version - 2020.11.26-170709

Comment

Ok, I seem to have fixed it.

I manually uninstalled the cosmo browser using the .exe here:
                  C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\Chaos Cosmos\uninstall

Once I did that, I reinstalled the latest version of VRay and had to manually start the cbservice.exe here (it would not allow me to start/ restart in task manager):

C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\Chaos Cosmos

From there, I followed the instructions and boom it worked.

I am now on build version: Build: 2021.2.15-183518

It seemed that my browser was outdated and that was the issue.

Comment

You're precisely right, the Cosmos Browser version was outdated - thank you for sharing the update and happy to hear everything is working as expected now.

Comment

Hello,
                      What would be the correct syntax for entering a UNC path ?
                      I tried this :
                      Code:
                      "\\\\myserver\\Chaos Cosmos"
                      but the CCBservice refuses to start.

mekene

Comment

Hi theedge

Sorry to say that the Chaos Cosmos browser currently does not support any form of network install, including mapped drives, UNC paths, Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive. Support for network setup is on our to-do lists and we'll make sure to keep you updated on the matter.

Comment

Working...
                        X