Running two versions of Vray on same machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running two versions of Vray on same machine

Can you have two different versions of Vray on the same machine ?
    I just upgraded to 1.47 and was presuming that I won't be able to render using 1.09 anymore. I have noticed posts that seem to suggest that you can work with both at the same time. Is this possible ??

You can't have different versions of VRay on one version of 3dsmax. You can have 1.09 on max6 though and 1.47 on max7 and vise versa.
    Best Regards,
    Tisho

Comment

but you can make a copy of 3dsmax on your harddisk and install 147 on the second installation...

there is a small topic on www.vray.info

thomes

Comment

yes, you can make a copy of max and install another ver of VRay on the same max - but copied max has trouble with DR, so I don't advice people to do this and then they come back to us and start asking why DR doesn't work.
        Best Regards,
        Tisho

Comment

I had one 3dsVIZ with two shortcuts...One with fR and the other without it, I created another folder with the rendercore and all the stuff there and another *.ini ...under one of the shortcut you'd need to modify the path, adding the new *.ini there.

it should work!
          show me the money!!

Comment

Authorization

So how does that work with authorization - is the license system for 1.47 work for 1.09 if I put it back on the machine or will I have to re-authorize again for 1.09.
            Just to clarify the suggestion is to install a seperate version of 3ds on a seperate drive and install 1.09 there aswell. It is sounds very interesting.

Thanks again

Comment

If you reinstall 1.09 you will need a new auth code.
              You can reinstall 1.47 on the same machine (as long as your dont reformat) without any problems, as your auth info is stored outside of the max directory.

When i was testing out the beta's (ages ago) I simply copied my max directory and installed the beta in that. So depending on what vray i wanted to use i just ran the appropriate 3dsmax. (of course the 3dsmax folders need to be name slighlty differently. You dont really need to install it on a different drive.
              Also make not of what tisho said about DR

Comment

Do you have to do this for every network node?

We're working on a project that requires 1.09 for now but I have some time to test out some stuff on 1.47 and will have to remove it in a few days.

Any ideas what would be the best way to go about handeling this for a 20 node farm.

--Jon

Edit: Nevermind, we'll just be switching over to the beta at this location.

Comment

well you dont need to auth for network nodes. As they just render. You only need the auth on the machine that doing all the setup.

So you should be able to just uninstall and reinstall on the nodes as you please.

Comment

True, good point Thanks.

--Jon

Comment

I wrote a batch file that actually deletes all the vray files and copies in the ones for a particular version. With the click of a mouse I can install any version for max, without having to have multiple copies of max on my HD. The script could definetly be refined, but it works.

Comment

i basically do the same thing.. i just have a 'version archive' in the network, and place shortcuts to update local copy of vray, and update renderfarm into each workstations start menu..

/shrug

not the best or smoothest, but it works
                        Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Working...
                        X