• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray standalone 64bits + MAYA + OS X

For an OS X screenshot see this post:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...hlight=#127892

View full-res here:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/x64/

Soon we'll have some MAYA screenshots too.
    Peter
    ...keep walking...

Äh
    what are the advantages of Vray 64 bits for us when it comes to us ?

Comment

1. The standlone is faster than the 3dsmax connection.
      2. The 64-bit standalone is a little faster than the 32-bit standalone.
      3. You can render much larger scenes using all available physical RAM (many millions of polygons), without resorting to disk caching.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Slick. Good question Tom. What about render times - have they decreased at all?
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
          Slick. Good question Tom. What about render times - have they decreased at all?
          Like I said: yes Once because of the standlone, and once again because of the 64-bit code, which allows for more optimizations by the compiler.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

very sweet. with the release of some maya screenshots from splutterfish, I was wondering how you guys were coming on that.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

coool!!!
              really looking forewards to this one!

vlado, could you tell which 64bit proc you used to render those scenes?

Comment

cool!!!!
                Bret

Comment

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/maya/
                  Peter
                  ...keep walking...

Comment

Roughly what is the speed increase (percentage-wise) for the standalone version? And what is the additional increase for going 64-bit?

I realize the improvements vary from scene to scene but if you were to take an average....

This information would be invaluable as it might determine whether its worth the switch to a relatively immature 64 bit OS.

Comment

I'd also like to know if a work flow has been established for the stand alone to submit and manage network rendering jobs.

V Miller

Comment

What about the disadvanges of the standalone version? I assume the scene have to be translated into a vray scene before it can be rendered, how much time does that take if you have a scene at 200mb forexample.
                        And what about various plugins, how is it going to handle that?
                        Also what about network rendering, how is that going to work out?

/Thomas
                        www.suurland.com
                        www.cg-source.com
                        www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

when can we get our hands on it :P
                          Dmitry Vinnik
                          Silhouette Images Inc.
                          ShowReel:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Roughly what is the speed increase (percentage-wise) for the standalone version? And what is the additional increase for going 64-bit? I realize the improvements vary from scene to scene but if you were to take an average.... This information would be invaluable as it might determine whether its worth the switch to a relatively immature 64 bit OS.
                            We still have to do exact timings; next week might be good time to do a dozen tests and see what comes out.

I'd also like to know if a work flow has been established for the stand alone to submit and manage network rendering jobs.
                            Since the standalone is a command-line application, you can use any of the very good network job managers that already do this.

What about the disadvanges of the standalone version? I assume the scene have to be translated into a vray scene before it can be rendered, how much time does that take if you have a scene at 200mb forexample.
                            No idea yet, but I can try

And what about various plugins, how is it going to handle that?
                            In the only possible way - by ignoring them. On the other hand, the standalone is fully plugin-based (geometry, shaders, cameras, textures etc). A 3rd party plugin can write its own data to the vray scene file that can be later used by a corresponding VRay-specific plugin.

Also what about network rendering, how is that going to work out?
                            The standalone supports distributed rendering, which you can use. Other than that - see my comment above.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

In the only possible way - by ignoring them. On the other hand, the standalone is fully plugin-based (geometry, shaders, cameras, textures etc). A 3rd party plugin can write its own data to the vray scene file that can be later used by a corresponding VRay-specific plugin.
                              Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              vlado, i hope i'm misunderstanding what you're saying, because peter was very quick to correct me when i assumed that there will the the same problems with 3rd party plugin support as seen with mental ray:

As I stressed above - MAX users will not lose anything, unless they want to render a MAX scene in MAYA or somewhere else. Please, do not mislead people with false information. The MR problems have nothing to do with V-Ray problems, so please, do not make wrong conclusions based on other products. MR architecture has nothing to do with V-Ray's architecture, so the problems and benefits in both packages differ a lot.
                              Marc Lorenz
                              ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                              www.marclorenz.com
                              www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Working...
                              X