VrayBitmap reordering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
    Is there a way to save a VRayBitmap with a bunch of controllers attached as a sort of preset? That would be easy. However, when I save it to a material library the controllers don't seem to be there when I drag it back out.
    Quite straightforward to script.
    Try your hand at it, it seems to me like you'd have a ton of fun. ^^
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      Quite straightforward to script.
      Try your hand at it, it seems to me like you'd have a ton of fun. ^^
      I have no problem programming... Well trained in the field. The issue is finding the time to do so.

Comment

The issue is finding the time to do so.
        I guarantee you the time will make itself *as* you'll script.
        Even my fiercest detractors can testify to half an hour of scripting saving them weeks of work.
        It's so much more direct from within Max than from the Cpp side, with its own unavoidable drawbacks because of it.
        But even without compilation, for most repetitive tasks it's unbeatable, and made on purpose to plug such specific needs as those in the OP, as quickly, and as painlessly, as possible.
        See here (shameless self-promotion. eh, i'm fair like this.) how making changes to the creation part of the lights makes possible a totally different lighting workflow, much more direct than the traditional one allowed by the general max creation rules we have to adhere to.
        edit: i haven't tried those things in ages. no idea if they still work, or are current.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Is there a way to save a VRayBitmap with a bunch of controllers attached as a sort of preset? That would be easy. However, when I save it to a material library the controllers don't seem to be there when I drag it back out.
          sure. you can save presets for everything. right click in slate and bam.

edit: there is an option, expose all parameters or similar.

edit2:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by piotrus3333; 13-07-2021, 01:37 PM.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Huh! Let me try that.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post

sure. you can save presets for everything. right click in slate and bam.

edit: there is an option, expose all parameters or similar.

edit2:
              I'm not finding this right-click menu, but the Show Additional Params is very helpful. I saw that pref, but didn't realize it would expose them all without having to attach controllers. This is actually the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more waiting a year for the VRay rollouts to draw every time either.

Thanks. Nice one!

The list for VRayMtl is massive, though, LOL. Instead of scrolling to get to params you have to pan.

Comment

also draging them (presets for tex or mtl) of of libraries is probably slower than right click >> pick from lib. every lib has an option to be excluded from this menu (if you have a ton of libs)

one or two VRayBitmaps per mtl is indeed something unusual for me. exposed controllers and a few presets are the way to go I think. I ditched controllers as soon as Mapping source appeared. in the last library I created every mtl node tree ends with VRayTriplanarTex with VRayUVWRandomizer. dragging one or two noodles and I have easy access to all mapping modes.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

right click in Slate. should have a list of MatLibs:
                  Attached Files
                  Marcin Piotrowski
                  youtube

Comment

This thread has gone a bit bonkers

Ok so im no the original poster so apologies, but for me it this was the simplest thing, it was just that the UV tiling options have been relegated to the bottom. UV tiling has always, since day 1 of CG, been tied to the bitmap..its the simplest setup and until UV maps are a thing of the past, then it should stay that way, end of But for some reason, the most basic form of controlling bitmaps has been moved right to the bottom..not ideal.

I still personally prefer to offer the least mouse travel and general trouble by default to those which went a longer way about the structuring of their pipeline, instead of punishing them for doing things right[/B][/I], in favour of hackier approaches.
                    But that's what you have created by moving the UV tiling to the bottom. I mean its below the TIME option...you've gone and punished the people who use the most basic aspect of adding bitmaps. Who uses the time rollout more than the UV tiling?

I'm still not getting the issue of reaching the Coordinates section of VRayBitmap. If Controllers/Mapping source are not used does it mean that for a mat with 3 textures (and those are usually the same size) you are adjusting tiling/whatever 3 times?
                    I create a brick wall, uv tile that, i add grunge, separate UV tile for that etc..same principle for lots of materials in the scene, metal- fingerprints-grunge etc, all potentially require different UV tiling.

This is about basic functionality being changed for some reason, its not about adding extra scripts, controllers etc..its about retaining the simplest form of material creation and when changes are made that add little annoyances like moving it to the bottom it means its kind of bad UI ..just move it back up eh, if only to alleviate some of my RSI
                    e: info@adriandenne.com
                    w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

right click in Slate. should have a list of MatLibs:
                      Yeah, I knew that was there, but this is interesting. If you use that right-click method it keeps the controllers. If you drag them it does not.

Oh, wait... if you have Show additional params turned on then the controllers come with it either way. When that is off they do not.

I actually much prefer dragging, because I keep a random working lib at the top.

It's a shame the stupid parameters window keeps reopening if you select a new node. This would be a MUCH faster way to work in slate, as it avoid all the stupid delay with the rollouts.
                      Last edited by Joelaff; 13-07-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                        I create a brick wall, uv tile that, i add grunge, separate UV tile for that etc..same principle for lots of materials in the scene, metal- fingerprints-grunge etc, all potentially require different UV tiling.
                        I have to agree that tex channels or VRayTriplanars are faster and easier. but try VRayUVWRandomizer - no need for scrolling down. just turn off randomization if not needed.

also I don't think layout of VRayHDRI/VRayBitmap ever changed. it was always like that.
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

yeah but thats adding an unnecessary step As for the vraybitmap, yeah im new to using it so thats kind of why i pointed it out...it was only ever about the UI placement, not workarounds etc..just seemed odd that it was at the bottom.
                          e: info@adriandenne.com
                          w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

It's a shame the stupid parameters window keeps reopening if you select a new node. This would be a MUCH faster way to work in slate, as it avoid all the stupid delay with the rollouts.
                            you can squeeze it under MatLib list. where preview window is by default I guess. or make it floating and tiny. interesting idea you've got there.
                            Marcin Piotrowski
                            youtube

Comment

you can squeeze it under MatLib list. where preview window is by default I guess. or make it floating and tiny. interesting idea you've got there.
                              Yeah, I tried all of those thing before I posted... If we could get rid of it it would be fast as hell. As is, it makes no difference. You still have to wait for the parameters panel to draw before you can edit anything.

Still kinda cool to have all those parameters at your finger tips so to speak, and clearly visible without selecting the node.

Comment

i still personally prefer to offer the least mouse travel and general trouble by default to those which went a longer way about the structuring of their pipeline, instead of punishing them for doing things right, in favour of hackier approaches.
                                Get off your high horse!
                                You are trying to cater to a tiny fraction of the user base (the VFX pro's). Honestly, I think you're out of touch with the average V-Ray user these days.
                                Also, this is another example of a thread that goes all over the place for such a small request.
                                https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                                X