No announcement yet.

Benchmarking - how 'bout a new round...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya i was watching it from time to time...i could see all 4 threads were pretty much at 100% all the time.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I cant help but thing it has something to do with your vray version.
      Try just updating one of your boxes (if you have time) and render again.
      I know it doesnt make much sense, but neither does a render time that is 2 1/2 times longer than it should be.

p.s. My offer of $5 for your render boxes still stands hehehe

Comment

Percy, you might want to check the temp the cpu's are running at. When we first bechmarked a dual 2.8 back when they first came out we got simlar results. Turned out the Heatsink on one of the procs was not seated properly.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

heres my tests with 1.47.03 I finally got a chance to do an initial test:

the one is the Dual Xeon 2.8 and the other is the new AMD 4400x2

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Here is a test on an older(2yrs old) Boxx Dual Xeon 2.8 GHZ 2G Ram,

Bret

Comment

Syclone1:
              Hmm honest i would have expected the x2 the whoop the dual 2.8. A 9min lead doesnt seem like much of a whooping to me.
              Given the chart that percy posted and the accompanying Mental Ray one from the original site, i would have expect a much bigger lead as with both scanline and mental ray the x2's beat even the dual p4 3.4ghz.

Unless this is all coming back down to Vray's favouritism with Intels???
              Is an AMD build of vray possible? (not really sure what i mean by that)

Comment

i just ran the same benchmark on the same machine but ran it as a server (sent through backburner) and there was only a 28 second speed increase, I have to admit that I expected it to be heaps more but cool, my renders from the workstation and with 3ds GUI still as fast as can be, nice.

Comment

Unless this is all coming back down to Vray's favouritism with Intels???
                  Is an AMD build of vray possible? (not really sure what i mean by that)

This brings me back to the reason I wanted to start this thread -- since it seems the new Athons & Opterons are not accelerating renders as much as expected, does Vray (unintentionally) favor something within the Intel architecture??? Vlado?

Comment

If i remember correctly, ages ago (over a year) we did some test in the forums, and it appears that vray really does prefer Intels.

Vlado, any comments. I would love a AMD build of vray

Comment

Hey davision, I not sure that I understand: your time is the best on your275 opterons no?
                      =:-/
                      Laurent

Comment

Here are the results so far (rounded to the nearest 1/2 sec)
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

could you possibly repost that and sort it from fastest to slowest.
                          Kinda messy at the moment.

But impressive work
                          odd how some of the 2x xeon 3.0 have hugely different times.

Comment

im going to test my dual xeon 3.2 tonight to see how it compares
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
                              could you possibly repost that and sort it from fastest to slowest.
                              Kinda messy at the moment.

But impressive work
                              odd how some of the 2x xeon 3.0 have hugely different times.
                              Be my guest :P

http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph

oh and the fast 3.0 was really a 3.6, fixed now
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Here is a nice chart for you all!

Enjoy

Chris Jackson
                                Shiftmedia
                                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment