Dome light again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome light again

Since some users were wondering what is the use of the Dome light, here are some images rendered with a HDR-mapped dome light:

Here is the result of one-bounce QMC GI with the same number of subdivs:

Since the Dome light knows in advance what is the .hdr map, it can optimize the samples so that more rays are traced in the bright parts of the .hdr map, which greatly reduces the noise (and render times too).

These are some of the most difficult .hdr environments I've seen, since they contain small bright spots. Obviously, this is not a problem for the Dome light. However, using GI only would require lots and lots of time to get rid of the noise.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Really looking forward to this feature
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

So is this feature going to be added in the next release? Looks very nice!

Comment

Very good !
        You say that these hdr environnement are the most difficult you've seen, Have you tried Debevec's hdr Skies ???
        Thank you.
        Gaël

Comment

Originally posted by gafl
          You say that these hdr environnement are the most difficult you've seen, Have you tried Debevec's hdr Skies ???
          Nope. Is there any place I can get them?

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

actually those are http://debevec.org/Probes/

btw my daughter says she prefers the "sparkly" ones :P
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

The three images above are with the Galileo, Grace and RNL HDRIs from Debevec's site.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Here is also one with the St. Peter's HDRI and some GI (irradiance map + qmc gi):

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

whats interesting is two things:
                  1 - very sharp shadows produced I guess from light sources. Its just you dont see those with pure gi.

2 - render time and noise is very little. which is a good thing.
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

have a look at:
                    http://graphicslab.ict.usc.edu/skyprobes/

there is a zip archive with hdrs taken every 10 minutes from sunrise to sunset ... would be interresting how well this feature perform on animations .
                    www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                      Originally posted by gafl
                      Nope. Is there any place I can get them?

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Actually what would be even better then Paul's HDRI's are the one that are done by the Sphereon Camera. I have gotten the "high res" skys and they are so high-res, it is crazy. 6k images with the HDRIs effectively at around 22 stops. When I measured the sun in HDR shop, its brightness is near 35,000. Now that is bright!

http://www.doschdesign.com/products/...Hires_DVD.html

Either way, I think you have made your point about Dome lights. Well done.

Comment

i personal don't understand the hype about hires hdri's, but i would be interrested in how the resolution of the hdri interact with the rendertime.. when using hdri's in the BG override channel the rendertime is hdri sizedependent.
                        www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
                          Actually what would be even better then Paul's HDRI's are the one that are done by the Sphereon Camera. I have gotten the "high res" skys and they are so high-res, it is crazy. 6k images with the HDRIs effectively at around 22 stops. When I measured the sun in HDR shop, its brightness is near 35,000. Now that is bright!
                          They must have scaled them down, The cam can deliver alittle more then 10000 pixels in the width.

Originally posted by Dschaga
                          personal don't understand the hype about hires hdri's, but i would be interrested in how the resolution of the hdri interact with the rendertime.. when using hdri's in the BG override channel the rendertime is hdri sizedependent.
                          If you have to render in highres and the hdr map shows up in the reflections you also need a highres hdr map.

/Thomas
                          www.suurland.com
                          www.cg-source.com
                          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Originally posted by suurland

They must have scaled them down, The cam can deliver alittle more then 10000 pixels in the width.
                            I know, but you would run out of ram if it was that big.

Originally posted by suurland
                            Originally posted by Dschaga
                            personal don't understand the hype about hires hdri's, but I would be interrested in how the resolution of the hdri interact with the rendertime.. when using hdri's in the BG override channel the rendertime is hdri sizedependent.
                            If you have to render in highres and the hdr map shows up in the reflections you also need a highres hdr map.

/Thomas
                            Yeap... I would say that the Dynamic Range of the HDR is important in the diffuse lighting, and the resolution (and dynamic range) is important in the specular (reflection).[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
                              I know, but you would run out of ram if it was that big.
                              If your scene isn't too big you don't. But your right it is a problem with such big files. I usually scale them down to 5000 in width.

/Thomas
                              www.suurland.com
                              www.cg-source.com
                              www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Working...
                              X