Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATED BENCHMARK (ITS FASTER I PROMISE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP!!!

It seems that the older K8T Msi board is very fast with the opterons.

Can anyone explain why my current board (ASUS K8N-DL) overclocked to 1934mhz gives 4min 4secs when the K8T Msi board I tried returned 3min 20secs at 1880mhz???

Same chips (265's) and Ram used in both boards - and same MAX file........?!?

Im sending this ASUS board back today and getting the MSi board back. the speed difference is major in real terms - and I am completely confused.

Obviously its a board issue and it seems that the older chipset performs far better then the new PCI-E based board.

Anyone in the know plase advise!

Immersive media - design and production
    http://www.felixdodd.com/
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/felixdodd/

Comment

• probably because your OC is not truly stable and a CPU that is over overclocked can be much slower than the same one with lower frequency.

Also try this : render the scene 1 time, reboot render it again, reboot render it again you will have 3 different results!

I have made some tests (well a lots of tests...)

render 1 : 4min36 sec REBOOT
      render 2 : 4min19 sec REBOOT
      render 3 : 5min4sec!!!! RELAUNCH MAX
      render 4 : 4min24 sec...

even with the script that secify MAX to use full CPU ressources...nothing help.

Comment

• pretty interesting tests n6 !!!
        =:-/
        Laurent

Comment

• i've made this test with the same config k8ndl opteron 265
          without oc time was about 3:45

when oc my x2 4200 i found that frequency read by vray are not always proportional to rendering time

i can oc my x2 4200 to 2.6 but rendering time was better at 2.4
          benchmark are interesting but are not absolute
          here i'm running x2 4200 2 xeon 3.06 pd820 2 opterons 265
          some scenes render faster in x2 4200 some better in xeon 3.06
          sometimes pd 820 surprise me

in scanline xeon 3.06 are better than x2

it's really interesting to have diff benchmark to make test to see what kind of cpu is the best

for me (in renderfarm the best choice today power/price is x2 4200)

forgot (in renderfarm the best choice today power/price/ )noise /power/ heat is x2 4200

Comment

• Sorry but what does the max's scanline renderer has to do with this forum?
            If you still use Max's scanline, it may be that you dont know VRay well enough

forgot (in renderfarm the best choice today power/price/ )noise /power/ heat is x2 4200

I can render the benchmark scene in 4min 19sec with 2 XEONs LV 2.4@3.57Ghz with 1Gb of RAM and a very standard PC-DL....

I m selling time to time such computer bases on Ebay for 750-900 euros.
            How much did you paid for your x2 4200 config?...

Comment

• Originally posted by n6
              There are reasons to still use scanline even if you know vray very well, for instance and card/sprite objects, pflow particles with IMB ...
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Sorry but what does the max's scanline renderer has to do with this forum?

I can render the benchmark scene in 4min 19sec with 2 XEONs LV 2.4@3.57Ghz with 1Gb of RAM and a very standard PC-DL....

I m selling time to time such computer bases on Ebay for 750-900 euros.
                How much did you paid for your x2 4200 config?...

about 600-700 euro 5:21 for this benchmark test

no noise less power consuption

i'm not a vray guru but sometimes with short deadlines whith many amimated mechanical pieces in a scene i prefer to use scanline

it's not important what software you use price/quality/time is the final goal

your prices are interesting maybe we can make a deal

post me a message if you are interested to build some computer for us

Comment

• ahh here we go again, n6 and his overclocking brilliance.

Give it a rest man, I dont know about the others, but im sick of seeing you come in and try to belittle anyone who spent good money on a current high end system instead of cheaping out and getting older hardware and overclocking them.

To each his own... leave it at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaForce
                    ahh here we go again, n6 and his overclocking brilliance.

Give it a rest man, I dont know about the others, but im sick of seeing you come in and try to belittle anyone who spent good money on a current high end system instead of cheaping out and getting older hardware and overclocking them.

To each his own... leave it at that.

Comment

About as much as I expected

Comment

• ahh here we go again, n6 and his overclocking brilliance.

Give it a rest man, I dont know about the others, but im sick of seeing you come in and try to belittle anyone who spent good money....
                        and so on ...

man, I personaly don't need "others" to feel something to explain what I think myself...
                        We are talking about benchmarking that is a thing you cant discuss or be "sick" about...
                        Results are results, its numbers, seconds, money units.
                        All the tests I am doing take a lots of time and I'm trying to do it as profesionaly as I can.

i m trying to get the best of some hardware parts, while you are trying to convince yourself your wasted money hasent been waste...

[/quote]

Comment

• ok, look i have no problem with anyone posting benchmark results even with overclocked hardware... good for you for getting so much out of so little. Thats pretty cool. Got no problems at all with that.

But your last comment is exactly what im talking about
                          while you are trying to convince yourself your wasted money hasent been waste...

You buy cheap hardware and overclock... most of use by new hardware and "maybe" overclock a little but generally not.
                          We dont go around calling you a cheap ass or a poor person do we, so why should you be able to say that we are silly, and have "wasted" our money.
                          You dont need to be so judgmental, leave that shit out.

Post your benchmarking results and OC stats, NO PROBLEM, but give the respect that your given, to others.

People can do what they want with there money, you buy cheap and OC we buy new/expensive. Neither is wasted.

In short i dont give a flying f**k about your overclocks or cheap hardware, thats your business right. But dont belittle people who have spent good money on new hardware. Thats just dumb and not to mention rude/arrogant/whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaForce
                            You dont need to be so judgmental, leave that shit out.

In short i dont give a flying f**k about your overclocks or cheap hardware, thats your business right. But dont belittle people who have spent good money on new hardware. Thats just dumb and not to mention rude/arrogant/whatever.
                            I share the same thoughts DaForce, and unfortunelly this thread isnĀ“t the only subject where i share the same thoughts....

Originally posted by n6
                            Thanks for answering Vlado!
                            I WAS RIGHT!!!!
                            well i guess it makes the day for u n6....so i really just look the other way and walk on by....

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

• Yeah I have to agree with you as well.
                              Well i didnt want to go tooooo overboard, we are all human afterall, I think

What thread was that quote from? I remember it, but dont remember the context.

Comment

• tha-outta-this-world-super-velvet-look-like....
                                http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=15030

wich i think was a nice input...still i just dislike the attitude...

heck its sunny outside!
                                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                                nuno@ene-digital.com
                                00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                                X