Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATED BENCHMARK (ITS FASTER I PROMISE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh, tom's is fine now I think they learned their lesson. Anyways plenty of other places to see that the quads are fast http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127315/article.html
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2021830,00.asp
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

• Just opened and hit render on my new workstation (many thanks for those of you who helped me pick it out). Dual 5160s, 4 GB RAM...although I'm using Windows XP 32-bit, so I'm probably not getting the use of all 4. I tried the 3GB switch, but it kept crashing Max on startup, so right now it's disabled.

I thought that with the new dual cores I would have more than 4 buckets during the render. I have "multithreading" on, but I don't think that does anything.

Comment

• Nice time! 4 buckets should be right, (2) dual cores = 4 cores = 4 buckets. You'll need XP64 to utilize all that ram.
        "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
        -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

• Yeah, I figured that I would need XP64. I might get it at some point since it's a waste to have this RAM and not be able to use it fully. I opted not to get it when I bought the machine because I didn't want to bother with some software and drivers not being supported.

Comment

• no hyperthreading with these new processors I believe, so keep that in mind.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

• Yeah I just figured that out. I don't know why I assumed they would have hyperthreading. Oh well, it's still MUCH faster than my older machine.

Comment

• Nice one flavrsaver

I'll upload a benchmark asap when our new machines arrive (dual 5160's 4 GB with x64 )

Comment

• sweet time there flavsaver!
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

• hi there, im testing a new laptop from hp with and amd turion x2 tl-60 (2.0GHz/512KB), 2g ram with vray 1,4703 but i am a little confuse because every test that im doing has a diferent time and diferent procesor frecuency. with the 1.4703 scene i have the following times:

Test 1: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 8m 9,7s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 1441 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |
                    Test 2: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 6m 50,3s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 1417 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |
                    Test 3: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 6m 56,0s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 843 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |
                    Test 4: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 6m 45,3s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 1200 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |
                    Test 5: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 6m 44,6s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 1200 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |
                    Test 6: Adv 1.47.03 | Render Time 6m 43,2s | AMD/DualModel 8 | 958 MHZ | 2048 MB | WinXP |

Somebody knows what is happend? why this diference? why every time that i render the scene i had diference times? thanks for your help...

Comment

• Test 1 is "probably" slower because it needs to load all the maps etc. after this they are cached and do not take as long to access.

The MHz thing is probably due to the speed stepping that a laptop does by default to save battery and stay cooler.
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

• Ive got a new pc arriving on thursday

Does anone have an overclocking guide for a core2duo 6400? I might not do it, but it'd be nice to know how.

Been meaning to get this benchmark done on my old one but ive not bothered installing max on it again. I'll do it with demo's tonight maybe

Comment

• http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardw...ict197995.html
                          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

• Well, it arrived today.

Only I think I fucked up, it wont turn on
                            The fan starts, spins once, then stops and nothing happens. Guess I wont be overclocking yet...

Benchmarking my old pc now... 6 minutes in and its just finished the light cache I'll be here for a while.

edit: 21m 51s
                            haha.

Comment

• Check to make sure you have all the necessary power plugs on the mobo. I know on the Nforce4 boards, there is the a normal power, a 4 pin, plug as well as a molex or 2.

Check obvious things like proper video, ram and cpu seating.

21mins.... wow

Comment

• Well here it is then.

Dual 5160 with 4 GB on Win x64.

Still using 1.47 since we're in the middle of some big projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X