New GGX light distribution for VRayLights with directionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GGX light distribution for VRayLights with directionality

We all know the issue with VRayLights and directionality seen through reflection/refraction. Now we have something ready as a fix, but it comes at a price - the light beam looks different.

At the example below - plane and two disc lights with directionality set to 0.94 / 0.85 / 0.6 respectively. Left image is the old method, right one the new GGX light distribution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_JS67qd2EYn.gif
Views:	1291
Size:	769.5 KB
ID:	1160102

I can provide a build for those who want to test it locally (V-Ray 6 license required).

Eager to hear your thoughts!​
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Cool if it fixes that bug. I don't mind the different shape a bit.
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Is the previous light distribution physically wrong? (Is the new GGX light distribution more physically accurate?)

Compatibility should be fine if there is a switch to revert to the previous light distribution.​

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
      oakcorp.net
      v-ray.jp

Comment

Same question as flat, which is the more physical correct distribution? For me I don't mind though as long as the bug is fixed
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Both distributions are correct (they are similar to adding an IES profile to a light), however with the GGX-like distribution, the light is not so dark when viewed from the side.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Can we still get full directionality with the new method? In other words, what about a value of 1.0 ? It is already difficult to control when you want a very directional light (by difficult to control I mean we have to use many decimal places to make small tweaks once we get close to 1.0. Rarely do we ever want a true 1.0, but we often want the light o look a heck of a lot more like a spotlight, and tweaking fine values between 0.98 and 1.0 is touchy.

Comment

The new GGX lights look great to me, perfect for washing up the sides of buildings at night etc. I presume there will be a "GGXness" spinner to set it as required? Or is it just an on/off tickbox? I'm hoping for the former!
              http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

matanov I wonder how this new behavior affects the direct visibility of the lights source, if at all. Talking about the usual problem of area light being shown as black square/circle in render, if the directionality is too high and camera is outside of that solid angle. It`s annoying to deal with, adding another piece of geo under with light material and all that. So i wonder if with this update we still going to see black area. I understand the reality vs the cg approach difference of the phenomena, hence why it`s black. I think artistically, people expect to see source as something bright, even at low glazing angles. Thoughts?

Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net

Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com

Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

Comment

We are still experimenting, but yes - in this implementation the camera angle is still affecting the looks of the source. GLASS-CANVAS - yes there is a GGX spinner in this variant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_eMNNfYyy8X.png
Views:	847
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1161692

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

So this is still not in Vray6 hotfix3? I just installed it and my LEDs are still black behind the glass.
                    www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
                      So this is still not in Vray6 hotfix3? I just installed it and my LEDs are still black behind the glass.
                      No, it's planned for Update 1 (V-Ray 6.1).

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

Oh I see. Thx
                        www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

it's not in update 1
                          Pixelschmiede GmbH
                          www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

No, not yet as we changed the original approach to something that seems to work better and there wasn't time to fully implement it for Update 1.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi, any update on this? is it implemented in VRay 6?
                              Best regards,
                              Jackie Teh
                              --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.06 build 00000]
                              AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                              Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                              X