Best way to render heavy geometry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to render heavy geometry?

I am producing a set of architectural shots at the moment that need to have a lot of full geometry cars in the parking spaces. What would be the best way to set up the scene so it doesn't crash when rendering? I have the 3GB switch installed with 3GB of RAM but when I render Vray crashes at about 2.3GB. Do I need to mess about with dynamic memory settings to get this to work?

yes dynamic memory is an option to avoid the crashing if its memory related, it has really helped some of my memory troubled scenes.
    you can turn the cars into vray proxies instead. but probably the easiest thing if you already got your scene setup would be to check dynamic memory.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis
      you can turn the cars into vray proxies instead. but probably the easiest thing if you already got your scene setup would be to check dynamic memory.
      I have tried maling the cars (8 of them) into vray proxies then instancing them to fill the car park but the memory usage still goes through the roof when I render, the scene renders fine without any instances of the cars. Am I missing something? The cars are all groups of geometry, could this be a problem?

Craig

Comment

The cars need to be one mesh per car ... then export it out as a vray mesh, then add the multisub material to the proxy.
        Natty
        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

but it takes some work to make the proxies. if you got your scene ready to render with all materials and lights set, i would use the dynamic memory option in the rollout. takes a little longer to render but you wont have to make all the proxies.
          if your still in the test phase i would prolly go for proxies.

Comment

Yep still setting up the scene so I will convert the cars to single mesh objects and see if that makes a difference

Comment

It should fix your problem... you are still liable to run out of memory using Dynamic.. ! Proxy's are the way to go..
              Natty
              http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

It's working... its taking AGES to render but it's working YAY! Thanks for the help guys

Comment

I am also having memory issues. I'm O.K. with the animation min/frame times but it crashes after about 2 hrs. Sometimes it shows the typ. process ran out of memory error and must shut down and other times I come back and it is just not up anymore. What are these dynamic memory settings?? Any other tips or tricks? I have a lot of RPC, Onyx trees, Forest Pro, Vray 1.09 in VIZ 2005. I have instanciate checked under Vray which helped tremendously but I have been working for months. Any help is appreciated.

Regards Peter.

Comment

The best way to do this besides the proxy option is to separate the cars into a separate pass. Reduces memory usage and allows you to render large scenes.
                    sigpic

Vu Nguyen
                    -------------------------
                    www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

Working...
                    X