3ds max 2024 OCIO - Automatic colorspace assignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonasNöll View Post
    What does this have to do with anything that I asked or said? Let's break it down:

1. You said VRay follows 3dsMax 2024 Colormangement Rules
    2. 3dsMax 2024 Colormanagement Rules define that all jpgs are assumed to be sRGB
    3. I demonstrated that this is not the case. BOTH jpgs in my example are interpreted to be in ACEScg, in 3ds Max 2024 (with new Colormangement where jpgs are assumend sRGB following the Colormanagement Rules) and 2023 or earlier (without new Colormangement where jpgs are assumed to be ACEScg by V-Ray). It gives the same result.
    4. My question: Why it gives the same result given that it SHOULD follow the Colormangement rules as claimed?

Just please answer this question in a logically followable way. Maybe I'm too stupid, maybe I'm doing something wrong, that's no problem. If it turns out I do some mistake I'm very happy to learn - really! Just please describe it in a way that answers this question.
    To be perfectly clear, *nothing* has changed in the vraybitmaps' interpretation of primaries: if they are not tagged, they will be assumed to be encoded with the same primaries as the rendering color space (so, ACEScg textures encoding assumed for ACEScg color space, and sRGB encoding assumed for sRGB color space.).

The OP table of OCIO rules does *not* determine *primaries* for files that aren't filename tagged (i.e. it won't work by their extension, nor will it auto-match the render color space.), and Max/Arnold and their bitmap loaders will assume the files to be sRGB at all times unless tagged as ACES (ofc, this can be overridden in the loader, like with us.).
    Notice *ACES is in the filename, not the extension. It's the OCIO spec wanting filename-tagged textures.
    The vraybitmap however will match the assumed encoding of the incoming textures to the render color space.
    We do follow the OCIO table for color space transfer function, AKA Gamma, or sRGB transform, that works by file extension in the OCIO list, when it's set to "from 3ds max" in the vraybitmap.
    This can be seen at work also in the max bitmap loader, which now assumes every 8bit texture to be wanting a gamma of 2.2 (as per the table.), and offers a button to set it to "data", or linear.
    Nothing to do with primaries. Max 2023 and max 2024 will behave the same with V-Ray and vraybitmaps in this respect.
    Last edited by ^Lele^; 19-04-2023, 04:45 PM.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hmmm…

Why wouldn’t you make VrayBitmap work like the new max Bitmap node and honor both the gamma and primaries settings from Max2024?

This would be almost as good as giving a setting such that the user can decide in older versions of Max.

Does somebody think just ignoring the Max settings makes sense? Sounds like a support nightmare at the very least. Linear workflow nightmares.

Comment

The OCIO implementation isn't settled at all.
        We are left reacting.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ok, thanks that answers my question.
          So as it then appears at least for now Autodesk and Chaos have different ideas about the default primaries when rendering in ACEScg.
          An additional option in V-Ray that defines the default primaries for non-nametagged images would help to clear up this difference.
          Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Am I missing something or Bitmap and VRayBitmap act the same with defaults and non-tagged filenames?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_UyHk9IZoqD.png
Views:	474
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	1178539
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

You're not, i was wrong in that bit.
              It is, after all, the OCIO spec demanding a match between incoming material and rendering primaries.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Hi, there seems to be a difference how not nametagged images are interpreted between 3ds Max 2023 and 2024 and when the new 3ds Max Colormanagement in 2024 is turned OFF (so same as in 3ds Max 2023).
                This is the same scene just opened with different 3ds Max versions and the not nametagged image is loaded differently in 2023 vs 2024.

Edit: Sorry the labels are wrong. So left is 2024 and right 2023
                Last edited by JonasNöll; 02-05-2023, 04:24 AM.
                Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

You're essentially saying that any sRGB texture that isn't tagged will load wrong in Max 2023 and V-Ray: that's most definitely not the case.

To put this issue to rest, I made an sRGB Jpeg in nuke

Name:	Nuke14.0_0ZB0FflSpW.png
Views:	447
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1179703

These are the results i got in max.
                  The top Row is Untagged bottom is Tagged.
                  From left to right, the primaries are set to "default", "sRGB", "ACEScg" and "Raw".

Name:	3dsmax_Ail4GFYwHB.png
Views:	460
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1179701

Name:	3dsmax_QWeSFKGpYL.png
Views:	430
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1179702

You will notice the only bitmap that differs from Nuke's is the one manually set to ACEScg, easily identifiable for the overboosted red (with spill to cyan).
                  Verify that in your tests you haven't overridden the image primaries by mistake.​
                  If you think you have done it right, kindly share the texture file and the max files.​​
                  Attached Files
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

This whole topic is very important for us. Up until now we have been using Max Tools' V-RayMax Converter Pro script to batch correct all the bitmaps; there is a section of the tool that does this specifically. We have always assumed it works exactly as it should, but it would be great if someone else could confirm this!

Name:	image.png
Views:	342
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1181585
                    http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GLASS-CANVAS View Post
                      This whole topic is very important for us. Up until now we have been using Max Tools' V-RayMax Converter Pro script to batch correct all the bitmaps; there is a section of the tool that does this specifically. We have always assumed it works exactly as it should, but it would be great if someone else could confirm this!

Name:	image.png
Views:	342
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1181585
                      Manually setting primaries for vraybitmaps will work as one expects, yes.
                      Primaries are automatically changed only on first bitmap load.

Besides this, it's hard to know if it's as it should without an image: you ought to know seeing the results of your renders.

Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

wait, regarding old scene conversion what is exactly missing from just using Lele's script?

and if renaming files is such a hassle then just create rules based on how your textures are named:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-23 171755.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1181625
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                          Besides this, it's hard to know if it's as it should without an image: you ought to know seeing the results of your renders.
                          They look exactly as expected, so I guess that's a yes!
                          I guess the bigger picture here is that someone has indeed created a script to automate the task, and I felt it was worth giving it some publicity (I have zero investment in it, and pay for my copies like anyone else)
                          http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

I guess the bigger picture here is that someone has indeed created a script to automate the task, and I felt it was worth giving it some publicity (I have zero investment in it, and pay for my copies like anyone else)
                            That script is a great tool, properly written too. There's a lot to like about it.
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I confirm. I have been actively using this tool for several months now and it has never disappointed me since I purchased it. What I like most is that it can be used from the command line in conjunction with other scripts and for batch processing of multiple files.

Comment

Working...
                              X