Vray Caustics through glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I did experiment a lot, and manage to get the sharp caustics on the floor and even some nice rays on the dining tables. I used a more basic glass material and very small light sources. But despite having a nice preview in the Ipr+denoiser in around 2 minutes, I can't get rid of the noise in the final render.
    I increased min subdiv/ min shading rate as suggested in the doc, even the lights caustics subdivisions to 50000, yet after running a region sample for more than 10 hours, the noise reduced in size a bit but the image is still really pretty noisy. Same happen using a non reflective simple grey material on the table cloths.

Without caustics, I get less noise than this after only a few minutes.

Do you think I might have a clean image if I let it run for days? An idea how to get a clean final result ?

edit: available sample scene here: https://we.tl/t-EAouChmxMY
    Last edited by MartinDarzacq; 17-06-2023, 12:09 AM.

Comment

You should set MSR to a very low value (say, 3).
      This will bias the rendering towards camera rays (i.e. passes), and as such allow for more photon passes in a unit of time.
      Feel free to pack and send me the scene, i'll try and see if anything can be done.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I did add a wetransfer to the sample scene, or if you meant the full scene, I'll do that right now

Comment

I am sending you the full scene and maps link via email. Thank you a lot for your help.

Comment

Hello! I know this thread has been a while, however, I"'m a newbie who is trying to do some caustic effects throughout the space created in Rhino.
            Could you share the settings of the material and render, please?
            My bumpy glass doesn't even let the point light go through for some reason...

(In the image, the glass is placed right above the glass. 'Affect Shadow' is turned off, and I turned on caustics in the settings.)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	27
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	1209981
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X