transparent trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transparent trees

is there any way to make trees semi-transparent or control their transparency kind of like you would in photoshop, have a tree layer and then set a certain amount of opacity to the layer?

i was thinking like a matt material or some material override that lets you plug in the regular tree material (in my case bark & leaves multi-sub object) and set a transparency?

the opacity or refraction within a material isn't so great b/c the geometry can be thicker in 1 part of the tree and thinner in another part.

so i'm thinking some type of flat mask or something?

also i am using GPU rendering.

thanks,

What happens if you change the visibility in object properties?
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

it seems that i get all or nothing with visibility in object properties. at 0.0 they are invisbile but anything above that and they are fully visible... althoughmaybe that is because there are two rows of them... hang on i'll try that again!

huh. it seems to be working. i'll try it again with the trees. i do notice i should drop the vis pretty low. ok. otherwise it's rendering out the trees separately then comping in post.
      Last edited by s_gru; 01-06-2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

nope, tried it with the tree again. it's all or nothing. anything above 0.0. hm. i wonder if it's thematerials or something?

Comment

You can use the method here https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...illity-channel

Otherwise, render separate layers and do it in post for some more control if timings change etc.
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

that's not such a bad thing. i'll attach a screen shot. so it seems that setting the IOR of the base material and the overrride refraction material to 1.0 does the trick. i'll play around with it more but it looks promising!Click image for larger version

Name:	refrac_override-render.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1182921
            Click image for larger version

Name:	refrac_override.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1182922​​

Comment

Working...
            X