vray proxy and scatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray proxy and scatter

anyone know of a way to scatter vray proxies without using the advanced painter script, where you can only scatter by actually painting the trees on? The script is awesome and all, but I need to create a forest of 50,000 trees, shrubs, bushes, grasses and such, and its just crazy to have to individually paint them onto the mesh.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

The regular scatter tool doesn't do it?

Comment

no you cant use vray proxies with the normal scatter, but I found one on maxplugins.de that does. its one Ive used before, but forgot about.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Isn't there a scatter in the blur scriptpack as well?

Comment

ya but its called simplescatter, and for a good reason.

Peter Watje's scatter utility is working great. Other then not letting me specify a name for the scattered objects before scattering has commenced without crashing max. Its a small thing though.

Comment

50,000 trees? What on earth are you rendering, Yellowstone Nat'l Park. hehe

Comment

lol cmon, yellowstone has at least tens of millions of trees... this site s .6 mile by about .3 mile in size, heavily forested.

Comment

Percy,
                your crazy.
                You could always array your proxies and then use the Blurscript "random transform" to vary the scale and rotation of the proxies
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

not a bad idea. ive been doing the scaling and rotation using that blur script.

Comment

would love to see the results when you get done!
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

sure thing. Heres a VERY prelim rendertest straight out of max, no AA.

obviously theres still ALOT of trees needed.

Comment

nice, whats the rendertimes like?
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

i think that was about a few minutes. the issue is the AA. right now Im working at fixed rate 2 at about 20 mins. 3 will probably be all I can afford for rendertime.

Man I wish Vlado would implement material specific GI and AA settings...

Comment

any luck with adaptive AA??
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Percy, trees look quite good

With proxies can you only Instance them right... like you cant copy them can you?

If i have say a glass cup that has been proxied, and i want to add say 35 other glass cups to the scene, I can only instance the original hey.
                              i realise there is no advantage in copying but when i tried it the proxy bounding box went HUGE.

Comment

Working...
                              X