• Time
  • Show
Clear All

you are better off instancing them
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

daforce, ya instancing is the only route. your bounding box is huge because the objects pivot point aligns itself to world 0,0,0. You have to realign the pivot to its own center.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Ahh ok cool. I figured something like that.

Thanks for the confimation

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
          any luck with adaptive AA??
          not really. theres no real straight lines in those trees, its all small details, so anything but fixed rate takes forever.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

alright so I have a question. Im up to 35000 trees and it aint enough, and its bogging down my scene. So i save selected all the foliage and plan on xrefing them into the scene at rendertime. Anyone know if you can Xref proxies? Also will that break the instancing at all?

Ive already save selected them out and they appear to still be instanced, I could render them no problem. I just dont want to delete the foliage in my main file until I know Im not screwing myself over here.

Comment

Hello Percy,

We use xref vraypproxies all the time and have no problems i have a small script that converts a mesh into vraymesh a automatic puts it in the scene has a xref. i can send you if you want. I would require some changes so it adapts to your project.
              Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
              You can do it! VFX
              Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
              http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

hey thanks for the info. If you would like, you could send it to my email listed under my post. would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Percy,

Have you tried Pflow for the distribution and orientation of the trees. Even if it won'twork directly with Vray proxies you could emit a bunch of particles...maybe point objects or dummies and then use maxscript to go in and stick the proxies at the points using an array and for loop.
                  -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

good idea dellis.
                    That has always worked well for me in the past
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I thought about using pflow, but why complicate things with pflow? Ive got them scattering, i can randomize scale and rotation, what more do I need? It frankly does it in one step, whereas with pflow Id need several steps.

Anyways, if someone can give me a really good reason why it would be better to redo it with pflow, let me know. Otherwise ive got 35000 trees done and planned on doing the rest tonight while Im home.

Comment

if it aint broke, dont fix it!!
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

what about compositing them in,add as many as you like then?...

Comment

always a good alternative.
                            I think percy enjoys killing computers!
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

sounds like fun!!!

Comment

i try to do it on a regular basis.
                                Keeps me sane!
                                Chris Jackson