No announcement yet.

vray proxy and scatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.....the main reason why i would use it would be the fact that you can either link a few different versions of the tree (colour, shape, etc.) to a master tree or group a bunch of different versions together and then let PFlow cycle through them when it emits. Pflow can also control the scale too. And the last thing would be that the Scatter compound object tops out at 65000....not too big a deal cause you could just copy the scatter object and change the seed value but PFlow allows you to go much higher.

I agree though...if its working your way....do what you're doing. I'm biased because i love using PFlow....
    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

you can use an instance replace script (i have one modified) that allows different weights for the trees and you can use points as references, its non destructive (you can leave the original geometry). if you want i can send you. just mail me.
      Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
      You can do it! VFX
      Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
      http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

Actually the Clone and Array tool is really good too!!
        -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

a current screenshot of my hell:

I promise theres a huge building complex in there somewheres.....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

yikes percy.
            Whats the tree count now?
            Can you render it???
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

how ever many trees are in there?
              what method did you end up using?

Comment

wow, how much ram is that chewing thru?

Comment

i dont have an exact count at the moment. ive still adding alot of local landscaping. It DOES render, but only if I have the /3gb switch enabled. I think its hitting about 2.2 gigs on backburner, more on my local machine.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

nice! would love to see a render
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

OMG

Thats pretty insane.
                      The things you have to do to please people

I too will jump on the "want to see it rendered" bandwagon.

Comment

You've inspired me to do a test of my own using proxy and that same scatter script. 300 trees, 90,000 faces/tree = 27,000,000 faces. I started rendering a flythrough animation with the "very low" imap preset (incremental add to current map) on sept 17th on a single athlon 3000+ with 1.5gb ram. Render times average about 10-15 minutes per frame and 628 have finished so far. Here is an AVI (xvid). http://www.prughlenon.com/render/proxy-xvid.avi
                        "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
                        -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

nice job. where did the tree come from?

Comment

Onyx. But I replaced the leaves with a scatter object, 65000 single poly leaves.
                            "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
                            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

hi percy
                              looking at your image i don't see y using vray proxys and meshes is better the forest pro (planes and bitmaps)
                              I think you should try it, look at the link below

http://www.itoosoft.com
                              gili
                              http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

Originally posted by gilicom
                                hi percy
                                looking at your image i don't see y using vray proxys and meshes is better the forest pro (planes and bitmaps)
                                I think you should try it, look at the link below

http://www.itoosoft.com
                                gili
                                If you dont see the difference in quality with using geometry and mapped planes, then Im not going to try and convince you. I WILL tell you though that just due to the path of the camera, and then many shots on the ground, mapped planes aren't cutting it.

I admit I tried planes and found they were only good for extremely specific circumstances, and would have had to go with geometry in most shots anyways, so why do twice the work?

geometry trees look nicer if you can handle em eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X