Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bump and displacement map issues (novice here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump and displacement map issues (novice here)

Hi all,

before I start I am a complete novice so apologies in advance if the solution here is very simple.

I cant seem to get a bump map to have any effect. No matter how high I adjust the amount the result doesnt change. In addition, I attempted to use a displacement map to at least get more of an effect and the map just moves the whole material forward off the mesh (if that makes sense). I will post screen shots below so someone may be able to point out to me where I am going wrong.

I am using the same map for bump and displacement just until I can fix this issue.

Thanks in advance

Here are the bump render and the settings. The bump result doesnt change, even when I turn bump off, it still looks exactly like the render below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	render 1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	1192135

Name:	render settings 1.png
Views:	230
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1192136

Name:	render settings 2.png
Views:	190
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1192137

And here are the displacement details. Hopefully you can see how the map is off the mesh

Name:	render 2 displace.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1192138

Name:	displace settings 2.png
Views:	185
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1192139

Hi, thanks for posting. Please check your scene's units and make sure your textures are mapped properly.
    Hopefully you can see how the map is off the mesh
    This is normal when you have too much displacement or something in your units or geometry is off. Are you using the VRayDisplacement modifier? If not you my advice is to consider using it.
    There is a setting there - the shift, that could potentially cure the exploding geometry that you are now having. But from what I see we shouldn't need to use it. There is a bigger issue here. Could you build a very simple scene like for example a box and use these same materials to see what will happen. You could also archive it and send it over so we can review it.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Real world map scale set to 1 mm will surely cause some issues already. I wouldn't work with RWS either just a UVW and a vray displacement modifier. No idea why your first map has a multiplier of 1000 too.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
        Hi, thanks for posting. Please check your scene's units and make sure your textures are mapped properly.

This is normal when you have too much displacement or something in your units or geometry is off. Are you using the VRayDisplacement modifier? If not you my advice is to consider using it.
        There is a setting there - the shift, that could potentially cure the exploding geometry that you are now having. But from what I see we shouldn't need to use it. There is a bigger issue here. Could you build a very simple scene like for example a box and use these same materials to see what will happen. You could also archive it and send it over so we can review it.
        Thanks for your help. Where do I send the zip file too? Or if easier I can send a download link
        Last edited by nakita_chan; 07-10-2023, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
          Real world map scale set to 1 mm will surely cause some issues already. I wouldn't work with RWS either just a UVW and a vray displacement modifier. No idea why your first map has a multiplier of 1000 too.
          Thanks for your input. Its set at 1000 as I just set it to a ridiculous number to see if I could notice any changes in the bump map

Comment

Working...
          X