Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know you don't want to embrace it, but there really is a significant problem with Max and IPR Renders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understood. I'll reach out when I can come up for air. Thanks Lele...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't been able to upload anything but this just came in to Max's forum ( https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...470371/page/25)

MESSAGE 244 OF 244

ArterraInteractive

in reply to: DGTLTWNS
      ‎2023-11-02 08:02 PM

Hi all of our artists are having this issue aswell, I've noticed when I reverted back to V-RAY 5 I didn't have the issue but going back to V-RAY 6 the issue resurfaces. This happens both working off the network and locally on the SSD.

The issue happens both on workstations with Intel Xeons 40 cores 196gb ram and also our workstations with i9-13900k 128gb ram.

Any suggestions or updates ?

V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Comment

Originally posted by RobH22 View Post
        I'm sorry I haven't been able to upload anything but this just came in to Max's forum ( https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...470371/page/25)

MESSAGE 244 OF 244

ArterraInteractive

in reply to: DGTLTWNS
        ‎2023-11-02 08:02 PM

Hi all of our artists are having this issue aswell, I've noticed when I reverted back to V-RAY 5 I didn't have the issue but going back to V-RAY 6 the issue resurfaces. This happens both working off the network and locally on the SSD.

The issue happens both on workstations with Intel Xeons 40 cores 196gb ram and also our workstations with i9-13900k 128gb ram.

Any suggestions or updates ?

Hi this post was from me,

How I consistently replicate the issue is I've copied one of our projects just to test this.

First I open up 2 instances of 3dsmax 2020, one on each monitor, on the first Instance of Max I load up the scene and enable my xrefs. This will load find and cause no issues.
        But in the 2nd instance I will open up one of the xrefs and while this file loads it will lag and lock up windows completely until it finishes loading and then the computer is useable again.

I've gone through trial and error removing and downgrading plugins one by one and have found that this issue isn't present when I have V-Ray 5 but immediately comes back when I am on V-Ray 6.

The exact same issue happens when saving the xref.

I have also already raised a ticket and am currently awaiting a response.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tony_macdonald View Post

Hi this post was from me,

How I consistently replicate the issue is I've copied one of our projects just to test this.

First I open up 2 instances of 3dsmax 2020, one on each monitor, on the first Instance of Max I load up the scene and enable my xrefs. This will load find and cause no issues.
          But in the 2nd instance I will open up one of the xrefs and while this file loads it will lag and lock up windows completely until it finishes loading and then the computer is useable again.

I've gone through trial and error removing and downgrading plugins one by one and have found that this issue isn't present when I have V-Ray 5 but immediately comes back when I am on V-Ray 6.

The exact same issue happens when saving the xref.

I have also already raised a ticket and am currently awaiting a response.

Thanks.
          Personally I don't believe this is a Vray thing. This is happening to a lot of people. You can follow along with the conversation on the Autodesk forums here
          Hi, I have a few reports of people with 3ds Max 2020, 2022, 2023 (haven't tested 2021) slowing down our workstations, when multiple instances of 3ds
          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

All of my reporting about the lag in IPR is from a single instance of Max and not multiple instances. I think they both are valid issues and are getting mixed up in posts. That's why I plucked Tony McDonalds comment above out of that thread. V-Ray may not be contributing to the lag of "multiple" instances at all. But it definately is affecting the lag of IPR renders. And it wasn't an issue before V-Ray 6.

Comment

Originally posted by RobH22 View Post
              All of my reporting about the lag in IPR is from a single instance of Max and not multiple instances. I think they both are valid issues and are getting mixed up in posts. That's why I plucked Tony McDonalds comment above out of that thread. V-Ray may not be contributing to the lag of "multiple" instances at all. But it definately is affecting the lag of IPR renders. And it wasn't an issue before V-Ray 6.
              I wonder did you test your current setup/projects with Vray 5? Would be good to have a side by side comparisson.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Minimizing background Max instances helps a lot.

Comment

I ve been gettgin the same shit for 2 years now on a computer with 3990X and 256GB RAM, superfast NVMEs etc, you name it.
                  Boils down to some ugly thing within the slate material editor.
                  So i tried to uncheck !enable global rendering" in SME and it works great again.
                  However, if you rely on how the sampe slots look in max, youre fucked. Because you always have to manually update the sample slot since the global renderign is off.
                  Dont know why but recently my mtl slots fail to update or render even without "enable global rendering" unchecked by default even in freshly opened scene.
                  But boy, IPR renders and updates superfast as before.
                  So yes....youre definitely right about the fact that SME sucks with anyting beyond Vray 6 and max 2022.
                  M
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

does this help:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	136
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1195754

faster, old school samples. with global rendering on.​
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post

Personally I don't believe this is a Vray thing. This is happening to a lot of people. You can follow along with the conversation on the Autodesk forums here
                      My Issue was solved, there was a bug in forestpack and railclone. Itoosoft released a patch for them forestpack 8.2.5 and railclone 6.1.4.

Looks like it worked for others aswell:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...470371/page/25

Comment

Working...
                      X