No announcement yet.

Colors and materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably if you use the auto correction from PS camera raw you will get similar results
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk View Post

So you're mainly doing stylized renders and not shooting for photo realistic images?
      I do more realistic renders that non-realistic. For me, realism is largely down to materials and form, and lighting is what gives the image style and interest. Putting a vraysun and a physical camera into a scene doesn't make a realistic render.

Comment

Originally posted by suzanne_doherty View Post
        Putting a vraysun and a physical camera into a scene doesn't make a realistic render.
        I disagree, Vray sun and a physical camera coupled with a good tone mapping produce quite accurate results, and this is not surprising since all modern render engines are based on physics.
        I’ve done several comparisons between renders and real dslr photos and results are always pretty close.
        Here for example I’ve used physical sun and a Vray camera, later I’ll upload some real photo of the room:
        https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...nt-in-florence

NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/

Comment

Here, an early render test and a photo made with a good reflex. Nothing but Vray sun/sky(default setup and intensity), a physical camera with the same exposure of the reflex and some basic tone mapping (white balance, highlight compression and a photographic LUT):

Click image for larger version

Name:	test14_copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	1204578 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC2199_copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	1204579

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post

I disagree, Vray sun and a physical camera coupled with a good tone mapping produce quite accurate results, and this is not surprising since all modern render engines are based on physics.
            I’ve done several comparisons between renders and real dslr photos and results are always pretty close.
            Here for example I’ve used physical sun and a Vray camera, later I’ll upload some real photo of the room:
            https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...nt-in-florence
            Dont get me wrong, vraysun and such can be used in great images, my point was (and perhaps unclear), is that you cant just drop in a vraysun and expect your shot to look realistic, the materials and forms need to be realistic before lighting.

For me, I prefer the control other lights give me, such as spot, directional, dome, etc give, rather than being tied into a sun system. But that's just my preference.

When trouble shooting images, I have a simple process -

Does it look "right"? If not check modelling (scale, proportions, accuracy).

Does it look "real"? If not, check materials, shaders. Are these are real as possible.

Does it look "interesting? If not, check lighting, balance and contrast, and composition. Is the lighting and composition correct for the shot.

9/10 this process works and helps narrow down the process.

Comment

Originally posted by suzanne_doherty View Post

you cant just drop in a vraysun and expect your shot to look realistic, the materials and forms need to be realistic before lighting.
              I can agree with that, to get good results you need to take care of everything
              I still recommend a physically based method, not because you can not get great results using an artistic oriented workflow, but just because a physical workflow is much more predictable in my experience.
              I mean, if you take a simple system with a single area light and a physical camera, it doesn’t matter if your area light has 10x the intensity of a real world light source as log as you decrease the exposure by 10x, you will get the same identical result. But as soon as you start to add many light sources(in my scenes I use often hundreds of different lights), things can get out of control easily because you’ll soon start to tweak each source until you get a decent results. In contrast with my method you start from the very beginning with a real world intensity for both natural and artificial light sources, this gives automatically a good starting point where you need very little tweaking if any.
              Of course you’ll still need to be able to create detailed geometry, plausible shaders etc, and on top of that apply a good tone mapping since the default Vray output is a linear render and dslr cameras output is not linear.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                I think the sun is the killer, and lowering the intensity seems to help. If I want to boost it in a post, I can do so by using an element.

Here is one that I got pretty good on the first try: the colors seem to work with no adjustments in post. The sun's turbulence was adjusted to 5, which I think helped. I also used real world camera exspoure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashley.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	1204511
                Just curious, are you using RichDirt?

Comment

Just on the foundation walls for this one.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                    Just on the foundation walls for this one.
                    Thanks for replying. Do you think it's still worth paying for or should I just stick with VRayDirt?

Comment

It is straightforward and quick. I am sure you can develop something close using V-Ray Dirt.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sirio76 View Post
                        Probably if you use the auto correction from PS camera raw you will get similar results
                        It doesn't, so I'll have to study the iCloud images and reproduce it in PS to see why I like it. I know it brings up the shadows and ads saturation a lot.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Personally, I don't like RichDirt or the Vray dirt for that matter.....just too uniformly dirty imo....they're ok as a quick thing to slap on but they don't really look great unless you mix them judiciously with other stuff...grunges etc.
                          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I am waiting for the AI to make a rendering look slightly aged. I found one a while ago, but it turned my house into a creepy teardown.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

We use a validator tool for substance to make sure we are in range.
                              https://youtu.be/8TnadUKLoJE?si=1LWoqOPtc9cO39yo
                              https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                              Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

Working...
                              X