Stop it with the pre-passes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop it with the pre-passes!

Hey guys. I've resurrected an old scene to revise a set of renderings from last year and I've begun gutting old settings and bringing it in line with my current VRay approach... however it's misbehaving.

I've switched both primary and secondary indirect illumination over to QMC and cranked the settings down for a quick preview render, then I turned on a flat gray VRay material in the override slot to do basic light tests. However when I render it still wants to do four pre-passes as though the irradiance map were still being used.

I'm overriding materials, so even if there are any interpolate glossies boxes checked off, VRay shouldn't be seeing them yet. What other settings could be invoking this pre-pass?

Thanks guys!
    Shaun
    ShaunDon

I've had the same problem and couldn't figure it out. I would also like to know. I got the file from someone else and just figure it was something he did.
    I could tell he didn't know what he was doing because he had 80 samples in the blurry reflections. The 80 samples didn't look any better than 12. 8 got a bit worse, but not much. Anyway, because of that I just assumed he didn't know about most settings and I just couldn't figure out the one he messed up.

Comment

If you have a interpolated material in the Mat editor it will still do the prepasses.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Quick follow-up: It has nothing to do with the GI. I turned it off completely and it's still running prepasses. Very weird.
        ShaunDon

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
          If you have a interpolated material in the Mat editor it will still do the prepasses.
          But even if I'm overriding materials with a basic VRay material? Just diffuse middle gray, nothing else?
          ShaunDon

Comment

afaik
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Hmm, I tried to recreate that but it's not happening, I know it used to be an issue, what version are you using?
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Ughh. I turned the VRay log up to level 4 and it does say that it's registering two interpolation maps. Anyone else think a global to disable interpolation in materials would be helpful? I've already lost over an hour going through every material in this scene, and apparently I got all but two...

Shaun
                ShaunDon

Comment

Not an aswer to your original question, but merching it into a fresh scene might help.

Comment

Thanks! It was in fact two mats that still had interpolate glossies on and the material override wasn't covering them for some reason. Another half hour and I sourced out which ones they were and killed 'em. Gonna post a wish now!

Thanks guys,
                    Shaun
                    ShaunDon

Comment

Hey, Shaun, good to know! I've had the same thing a couple of times and never figured it out.....until now! hehe

ME
                      Matt English
                      Harper Perkins Architects / base2studios
                      VizDepot.com Moderator
                      AArch2008/VIZ2008/VRay ONE POINT (WHOOHOO) FIVE!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X