VrayLightMtl and Wrapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayLightMtl and Wrapper

Hi, can anyone recommend the best way to work with the Light Material in order to simulate some fluourescent bulbs in a 2'x2' light fixture? The bulbs themselves can just be a uniform color (hence the Light Material) but I'm getting too much clustering in my Light Cache calculations which I assume are due to a lack of subdivisions (is this true?) Can I control the subdivisions at the material level (like a typical light source) or must I do this at the object level? or on the render menu? I thought I read that the wrapper could be used to control the light material better, but I haven't figured it out yet.

thanks for any advice/suggestions.

- Alex

Alex, it might be better to post an image so we can see the exact problem.
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Have a quick peek at this thread.
      http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...t=vraylightmtl

Might give you some ideas on how to control the vraylightmtl, or if you can fake it using vraylights then that would be better for your rendertimes and quality.

Comment

thanks for the link; I'll post something as soon as I get back into the office in the morning.

- Alex

Comment

Here's an early test render of my current project. I'm at the moment trying to use Vray Lights (both squashed spheres and planes) in lieu of the VrayLightMtl.

Comment

Looking good... except for the noise/splotches.

Are the lights going to be recessed at all?

Comment

that looks good? the lights are too burned out in that rendering, but they are 2'x2' housings with 3 fluourescent bulbs. I am currently trying to replace the bulbs (just cylinders with VrayLightMtl on them,) with just Vray Plane lights. I have so many lights, how do I know how many subdivisions to work with for each light? I need to finish this thing up tomorrow night, and I'm not used to having a deadline (singing to the choir huh?)

-Alex

Comment

Just throw a vraylight mtl with 1.0 on the bulbs - perhaps a gradient ramp to give it the illusion of being curved. Then below each bay put in an invisible vray light. Should do the trick.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

oh riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.. sorry I thoought you had just put square vray lights on the roof to test the lighting.. LOL yeah i guess they are a little burned out.

Yeah like what jujubee said. That is the way i would attack the problem. Just make the fluourescent bulbs look good, and then produce most of the lighting from the invisible vray lights.

Have look here as well, maybe that will be able to help. Similar kinda of issue he tried to use vraylightmtl and it just wouldnt cut it, so i found faking it was the best solution.
                  http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...t=chicken+coop

Try it out and post back... tomorrow shuold be an easy enough deadline to meet

Comment

okay guys, i will definitely try it your way and maybe post some preliminary results. My IR calculations are taking for ever on this scene, and I'm not really sure which settings are causing it (or which materials actually.) Seriously, thanks for the quick responses and useful links. Later.

- Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X