Sourcing out missing UVs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourcing out missing UVs...

I'm getting a metric ton of overbright errors with the latest interior scene that I'm working on. I've narrowed it down to bad/missing UVs in the furniture models that we got from vendors (when I apply a box UVW modifier to everything in the scene, I get no overbrights).

My problem now is that it would take me hours to go into each piece and remap every object without knowing which ones are actually causing V-Ray trouble. Is there any way to narrow it down? The first object (of hundreds) that errors out in the log is my interior trim that gets a flat paint color material, so that can't be it.

Thanks all,
    Shaun
    ShaunDon

Do you have a falloff map in that flat paint material that you forgot to set back from default 255 white?
    www.studio2a.co

Comment

That's a negative, sir. Here's my paint material:

Thanks,
      Shaun
      ShaunDon

Comment

You could try rendering the objects with scanline to see if you get the standard UVW warnings.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Holy bejesus, rerender, you're telling me Max has its OWN render engine? I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Shaun
          ShaunDon

Comment

You can narrow it down by splitting the selection of objects in half, hit render. If no error, render the other half. Continue subdividing the groups like this until you get to the one or two objects that are giving you problems.

Another option, if you want to be lazy, drop a UVW Unwrap mod on everything that might be problematic. To counter the huge memory hit, convert everything to editable mesh afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
              You can narrow it down by splitting the selection of objects in half, hit render. If no error, render the other half. Continue subdividing the groups like this until you get to the one or two objects that are giving you problems.
              can't help but think: what if the first two halves both exhibit errors?

Lele

Comment

It's a good thought, but as this is a common problem (until our vendors get straightened out) I'd like an elegant solution. If scanline can report missing UVs, why not have the V-Ray log report the same?

Shaun
                ShaunDon

Comment

So the issue should arise because some objects have no UV applied at all?
                  Or the UVs are "bad" (ie. with +#inf in some channell)?

in case it's arising from MISSING uvs, try and run this bit of code:

Code:
                  clearSelection()
                  for i in objects where (superclassof i == GeometryClass) do (
                  if i.mesh.numverts > i.mesh.numtverts do (
                  selectmore i
                  )
                  )

This will select any geometric object in the scene with at least 1 vertex without UVs

re,

Lele

Comment

Gorgeous! Thanks bunches and bunches!

[edit] oops, didn't read the whole thing. I'm assuming at this point that they're missing atogether. I'll gve this script a try in a few minutes and see what it churns up. Thanks again! [/edit]
                    ShaunDon

Comment

no worries, mate

If it's a bad value, it's enough you give it to me, and i'll fix the condition to select the objects with those values.
                      It'll be a lot slower as it'll have to iterate through the vertices UVW coordinates, but it will work (xfrog trees sometimes exhibit that behaviour. it took the script half an hour but it rectified the problem.)

Lele

Comment

Wicked script Lele, will add this to my ever growing collection of "Cool Shit by Lele"

Comment

Ahah, daforce!

Will you then be so kind as to zip that pile of crap and send it to me?
                          It's not like i saved most of them...

Lele

Comment

dude you know you cant zip shit.... sheesh

Comment

Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                              nuno@ene-digital.com
                              00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                              X