z depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z depth

How do I save this z-depth pass? I selected z-depth in the Vray G-buffer window. Once the view is rendered I can view the z-depth in the render window. Though, once I save the file I loose the z-depth. How must I save the file?

It has to do with the file format.
    You can either set up a pass for the ZBuffer, and save that, or use a multi-pass format like RPF or EXR and that'll have the Zbuffer saved into it (provided you tick the box in the file format save dialog).

LEle

Comment

this format ca nbe accessed in your compositing software like AE and combustion just to name 2

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

The file .rpf cannot be opened in Photoshop....at least for me it can't. I did not see an option to save as .exr. When I try to save the z-depth pass from the render window, it saves as the normal image and not the z-depth pass. What am I doing wrong here? How can I save the save z-depth pass for an animation?

Comment

OH...just saw the above post. So, in Photoshop I can do nothing with the z-depth pass?

Comment

it's easy: http://www.onoff.ch/2006/04/11/channel-enforcer/

best regards
            themaxxer
            Pixelschmiede GmbH
            www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

I think you should first and foremost take a look at the chm file that comes with your copy of max.

Under "Render elements" you will find what you need.
              The issues you have have nothing to do with vray, but with general max/file format knowledge.

All the questions you have asked so far are easily answered in the max manual.

Regards,
              Lele

Comment

I am also having the same issue as cristoforo. I can see the black and yellow z-buffer (although I don't know at all what I'm looking at), but it does not save out anywhere. Even when I do see it and try and save the image in the Frame Buffer, when I open it up in combustion I see a black frame.

studioDIM - Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Render Elements" option is that it only available in scanline. Since V-ray object (proxies, planes, etc.) won't work in scanline, this is not always an option.

Is that yellow and black thing even a proper Z pass? I'm used to seeing the whole black to white image, but if that's what combustion understands, that will work for me...just as long as I can save it.

peakyfreak
                ...learning more every day...

Comment

Okay...retracting statement. we didn't have the most current version of Vray installed. I now see the Remder Elements tab, and the Zdepth works. Phew!! That's a relief

Comment

I only see the Render Elements tab when Scanline is set as the renderer. WHich version of Vray do you have installed?

Comment

Well, I'm only able to save the z pass with the channel-enforcer....thanks themaxxer! Though, how do I use this in photoshop to blur the foreground?

Comment

I've found this plugin fantastic for doing DOF in photoshop with z-depth: http://www.dofpro.com/

You could just use the z-depth as mask, with one layer regular and the other gaussian blurred, but with the roseman plugin it supposedly calculates the correct blur based on aperature size and shape and also does bokeh effects.
                        "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

i would love for someone to outline the use of the coverage channel for both DOF and motion blur within combustion. and dont some people use z-depth as well when doing motion blur to help with the blurring or something?

---------------------------------------------------
                          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

The version of vray that has the Render Elements tab is 1.49.58

Here's the steps for doing DOF with the zdepth in photoshop.

1. Make a copy of the layer
                            2. Drag the zdepth to into the workspace as the top layer
                            3. go to SELECT -> COLOR RANGE and choose one of the darker colors with the range all the way up
                            4. Click the LAYER MASK button at the bottom of the layers palate
                            5. Go to the Filter Pull Down and choose LENS BLUR
                            6. Click the point where you want to be in focus, then play with the settings.

Its very easy, and provides a lot of flexibility.

Comment

Oh, yeah. I forgot now that Lens blur basically does what DOF pro does. My only additional comment is that I think its better to copy the z-depth map into an alpha channel and then Select: Load selection and select the channel. Then click Layer Mask. That way the selection and subsequent mask is correct based on the grey-scale information.
                              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Working...
                              X