z depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

Z-depth in vray 1.50 - how come it isn't anti-aliased? Am I missing a setting? I normally did my z-depth renderings in scanline because I found it easier to work with, but since I've been using displacement in vray I need these displaced faces to be included in the z-depth channel.

I think someone may have covered this before, but I can't remember exactly what was said. Is it possible also to render out only the z-depth channel in vray without vray rendering the rgb and alpha channels also?

Comment

basically if it had AA on it then the blending of the darker more distant area with the lighter closer area would be an inbetween. however the edges of your object are not inbetween so it would look wrong. however when its not AAed then the edges are crisper. somehow the coverage channel is to be used but no matter how many times i ask about it no one responds. which makes me assume that there is no one out there who knows anything about using the coverage channel

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Oh right! Cheers for the explanation! I think I've heard of people rendering them twice the resolution and then downsizing them say in photoshop - would that have the same effect as anti-aliasing?

Still don't know how to only render out the z-depth channel and not the rgb or alpha?

Comment

to render out only the z-depth, simply uncheck "save rgb" and "save alpha" in the gbuffer split settings.

As for AA, 1.5 supports filtered z-depth if you turn on "enable filtering" if i recall right. It's just off by default, aint it ?

Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
            to render out only the z-depth, simply uncheck "save rgb" and "save alpha" in the gbuffer split settings.

As for AA, 1.5 supports filtered z-depth if you turn on "enable filtering" if i recall right. It's just off by default, aint it?
            This is correct, yes.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X