LWF and RPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWF and RPC

Yes, I know....don't use RPC. However, we paid a lot of money for the RPC environment and are still trying to get our money out of it. We also like how it looks in our renderings.

Anyway, when using LWF (buring the gamma in using 1/.4545) the rpc environment washes out. Does anyone have any idea how to control the input gamma of the rpc like you would any other bitmaped texture? I really don't want to tell my boss we have to purchase a collection of hemispherical skies (even though we need them) just to switch over to LWF.

Any help or advice would be greatly appriciated!

Matt

did you tried the collor correct plugin?
    Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
    www.shack.de

Comment

Yeah I tried it. Didn't have any effect. I don't know if you've ever looked at the 'material' assigned to RPC objects but it's not a normal material in any sense of the word. I tried copying the 'map' and pasting into the color correct and setting the gamma, but it didn't change it one bit.

Comment

Comp them in maybe?

Comment

Hi Gilpo,

I really sounds like the images you are using are in a 2.2 Gamma colour space (sRGB).

It sounds and I stress sounds, as I am not sure what you are using, that you are doing a double gamma on your image.

If this is the case, you need to remove the Gamma in the RPC image and then put it through MAX and then it should work.

Just for the record , LWF means that the final output would be in a linear colour space and then in comp you would do the final output in sRGB space or LOG space etc where ever the final image is to live. This way if you send your image to a compositor he/she is not stuggling with the images.

Just my 2cents take it or leave it
          Mark Rasmussen
          Founder | VFX supervisor | Compositor
          Enigma Studios Inc.

Comment

it's simple, forget the LWF.
            why all the people want to work like this? I don't see any advantage. ok, I don't want to say anything about it, but I didn't had any problems without LWF till now.

best regards
            themaxxer
            Pixelschmiede GmbH
            www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

a better/more realistic light distribution isnt an advantage?

Comment

yeah of course it is, but I make all this in post. I do use linear color mapping and save my image as 48bit png. then I tweak it in PS.

best regards
                themaxxer
                Pixelschmiede GmbH
                www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Originally posted by themaxxer
                  yeah of course it is, but I make all this in post. I do use linear color mapping and save my image as 48bit png. then I tweak it in PS.

best regards
                  themaxxer
                  You can't pull the same amount of light from your image without LWF as you can WITH LWF. Believe me, I've tried. You also have to use alot more lights in your scene, which increases memory and render time. Having said that, I think alot of LWF renders lack depth and contrast. There could be alot of factors that could be contributing to that though.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                  X