Opening old files with 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening old files with 1.5

Has anyone had any problems with version 1.5 opening files made with previous versions of Vray. I use Viz 2007 and previously Vray1.47.

After installing 1.5 I tried to open a variety of old files and only had success opening one the rest simply beep and crashed Viz.
    Is anyone else having this problem?

I have found a work around by opening the files on an other machine with 1.47 installed, un-checking global illumination and resaving it. Then it seems to open Ok in 1.5.

I appreciate there have been a variety of changes so some settings may cause problems when opening old files but this really sucks because I want to remove 1.47 from all machines so I can net render.

Another issue that has cropped up is that IR maps that had been rendered previously using 1.47 are not being loaded by 1.5 “error, unable to load irradiance maps” so irradiance maps have to be re-rendered.

Vlado, maybe you can help. Are these issues that you know about, or are these problems local to myself as usual?

Has anyone else had any issues with Viz 2007 Vray1.5 and would like to share there findings?
    Greg

I haven't found such problems myself, but they can be fixed if you send me an example file that crashes on open, and some irradiance map which fails to load to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado,

Files sent
      Greg

Comment

I can confirm this problem with Viz 2007. We have just been merging the model into a new file and applying our newest render preset. That seems to go along with the GI setting theory. Very small price to pay for the benfits of using 1.5
        Ben Steinert
        pb2ae.com

Comment

Is your license server running ?
          I had the same problem with Viz2007. My license server was not running,
          and that was what was crashing viz. After starting up the license sever
          all was fine. Also, I created a fresh scene in 1.5 and set up for preset.
          I saved the preset and opened older files and just loaded the saved preset. No problems with that here.
          http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

License server is running even restarted it to check.

beestee, merging files in works well although i'm have a problem with the presets.

Every time i try and save a preset VIZ crashes.

Any ideas???
            Greg

Comment

I am not sure why it would be crashing when saving a preset. We are using the VIZ presets to load our VRay settings, not the preset utility built into VRay...that may be the difference. If that isn't it, I am not sure that it would be anything other than a bad VIZ installation, which does seem to occur frequently, or a bad VRay installation.

Not sure what else it could be.
              Ben Steinert
              pb2ae.com

Comment

Thanks beestee, I am trying to use the VRay Presets, which seems to be the problem. VIZ presets seem to be working fine.
                Greg

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper
                  Thanks beestee, I am trying to use the VRay Presets, which seems to be the problem. VIZ presets seem to be working fine.
                  A reason for the crash could be if V-Ray cannot write to the \plugcfg folder of 3dsmax/VIZ. You can try to see if you can manually create a file named vray.cfg in that folder.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                  X