Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making stained glass...

Hi All,

I've been trying to recreate a stained glass window effect, with limited success and wondered if anyone here knows of a good way to do it.

I'm basing it off a texture I already have so a simple material in vray isn't really what I want as I'd have to physically model each part of the glass and assign the different coloured glass that way.

I suppose I'm looking for a simpler solution where I can have the texture do most of the work, if that makes sense?

Cheers for any help.

Regards,

BIGlolly.

It is not really stained glass, but it can "inspire" you

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ht=glass+block
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

a little on the low-tech side, but I've got one I'm working on now that I've used a vraylightmtl with a bitmap of the stained glass. I just played with the multiplier until I got the look I wanted.

HTH,
      ME
      Talk nerdy to me...
      ------------------------
      Matt English
      base2studios
      VizDepot.com moderator

Comment

How's this?

Depending on your existing texture, you can place the map of the stained glass in the refraction slot and light your scene like normal (sun and sky). I also placed the map in the diffuse slot but only at about 10% with the default color nearly black. For this to work, the "leaded" portions of the stained glass have to be black however, making them completely opaque. Set your environment to pure white or put a 100% self illuminated white plane behind the glass that doesn't cast shadows. Raise the soft shadows on the sun higher than normal to simulate dispersion through the stained glass.

It's not the best solution but it renders pretty quick it seems and for this project worked pretty well from the outside where the glass loses nearly all the color and you can just make out the pattern (the 10% diffuse map helps for this).
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Pretty cool base2, but I think dlparisi has nailed the look I was going for.

I'll have a go at recreating this and let you know how I get on!

Thanks guys.

Regards,

BIGlolly.

Comment

yeah, I agree! I'm gonna have to try that myself! hehe
            Talk nerdy to me...
            ------------------------
            Matt English
            base2studios
            VizDepot.com moderator

Comment

Working...