Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA settings - reverting to 1.47.03

Now this thread is getting somewhere. A few questions:

1. How do I easily render something in 1.47.03 if I have installed 1.5 ? I am mainly concerned with the license authorization. I am presuming that if I unistall 1.5 and then install 1.47.03 things will work happily ? ( haven't converted the rendernodes to 1.5 yet ) No Dongle yet - using a patch for the license file.

2. I don't want any crazy fancy settings for a specific job - all I need are settings in 1.5 that replicate the DEFAULT Adaptive subdivision settings in 1.47.03 -

3. If I had AA issues in 1.47.03 I used to dial up the min and max settings - how do I do the same thing in 1.5 - it seems from the posts I have seen around here and my own experience that dialing these up - is no longer a reliable way to achieve good AA.

4. It seems from your posts that 1.47.03 used "cheats" to create great looking, predictable flicker free animations with great rendertimes. Reading between the lines - now that 1.5 is not cheating as much, does it mean that we have to assume that our rendertimes for equivalent scenes in 1.5 will take more tweaking and longer rendertimes?

Thanks as always for your help and patience

Comment

Re: AA settings - reverting to 1.47.03

Originally posted by Adam H. Stewart
      1. How do I easily render something in 1.47.03 if I have installed 1.5 ? I am mainly concerned with the license authorization. I am presuming that if I unistall 1.5 and then install 1.47.03 things will work happily ? ( haven't converted the rendernodes to 1.5 yet ) No Dongle yet - using a patch for the license file.
      In that case, they use the same software license, so no problem there. One way to switch between the versions is to install the plugin files into different locations and use different plugin.ini files. Another option is to copy the 3dsmax installation itself.

As for the AA issues - in fact, Adaptive subdivision AA is not changed all that much. For my comments I assumed you were using Adaptive QMC.

Is it possible that your AA issues are related to antialiasing of very bright objects and color mapping changes, as discussed in this page:
      http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...m#colormapping
      (specifically the section on color mapping)?

If this is not the case, can you send me a simple test scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com demonstarting the differences between the two versions, just to make sure this is not actually a bug?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Eureka - sort of

OK so I went through the setup instructions for migrating to 1.5 very very closely. There where two things that were affecting my sample scene in particular. One was the new Vray light feature - Affect Specular ( I was getting hits that I wasn't getting before) but more importantly I was having problems with the Color mapping settings.
        This was a bit confusing - when you are using the Adaptive QMC you should have Sub-pixel mapping and Clamp Output : OFF ( from the online instructions) but when you are using Adaptive Subdivision you should have these setting turned ON (find these settings in Color mapping) - you can forgive me for getting a bit confused
        In any road I have managed to match one 1.47.03 scene perfectly - which is a good start.
        I'll continue my tests and keep you posted - although I have a feeling I won't have as much luck with the more complex materials I am much more encouraged then I was this time yesterday

Comment

Vlado,

Thats excellent news about the speed increase.. very nice indeed
          But as you said hope its not something else that causing it.. hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
            Well, in one particular case, a scene that rendered for 7m43s with the old build, rendered for 7m15s with the new one, which is somewhere about 9% faster. In another case, a scene that rendered for 44s before, rendered for 36s, which is about 18% faster, I think. Of course, it varies from scene to scene. I just hope that the speed increase is not on account of something else

Best regards,
            Vlado

Yeaaa..... It's great...

But can you tell us, Vlado, about the speed increase into 64bits version... or is it only usefull for very large scene ???

Sonds like a journalist question !

Best regards...
            My Flickr

Comment

I'll put it in the form of a question, so i won't get stoned (pity!) if i say it wrong: Isn't it true, in simple terms, that the new QMC sampler is simply MORE sensitive to noise than it was before, hence needing less of a small threshold to step through sampling levels, and possibly some more subdivisions (as opposed to a lower threshold) to get it clean?

Ie. the 1.47.xx QMC sampler wasn't working exceptionally well at 0.01 threshold, hence often needed adjustments (lowering the threshold to 0.001, even, in some cases), whereas the new sampler DOES work at 0.01, samples all the way to the max subdivs value, and needs no lowering of the threshold to clean up stuff. at most a raise in max subdivs.

Right? Wrong?

Lele

Comment

i dont remember where it was but it was mentioned before that 64 bit doesnt neccisarily mean faster. but you can handle huge scenes. but with rc3 it should be faster

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                  I'll put it in the form of a question, so i won't get stoned (pity!) if i say it wrong: Isn't it true, in simple terms, that the new QMC sampler is simply MORE sensitive to noise than it was before, hence needing less of a small threshold to step through sampling levels, and possibly some more subdivisions (as opposed to a lower threshold) to get it clean?

Ie. the 1.47.xx QMC sampler wasn't working exceptionally well at 0.01 threshold, hence often needed adjustments (lowering the threshold to 0.001, even, in some cases), whereas the new sampler DOES work at 0.01, samples all the way to the max subdivs value, and needs no lowering of the threshold to clean up stuff. at most a raise in max subdivs.

Right? Wrong?

Lele
                  To add, what about the adaptive amount? How does that compare to 1.47? In limited testing I have pushed it up to 95% and still get pretty good results.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                    To add, what about the adaptive amount? How does that compare to 1.47? In limited testing I have pushed it up to 95% and still get pretty good results.
                    Aye i found the same.

Lele

Comment

Vlado, is it very difficult to setup v-ray versions as if they were different rendererers? So that they would simply show up in the renderer list, like scanline and MR?

I mean, is it just matter of making every file unique for the version?

This would solve many problems, and you would be able to switch between versions on the fly...

Thank you

regards

gio

Comment

Sweet

That would be sweet - I just rendered out a bunch of files in 1.47.03 from somebody elses computer ( still has 1.47.03 installed) had to do it through remote desktop - which is a pain in the arse to use. It would have been so sweet to just select vray 1.47.03 from a drop down - that would solve lots of problems - although to be a workable solution it would also have to work this way on the renderfarm - not sure how you'd set that up ?

Comment

Working...
                        X