closed interior without GI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• closed interior without GI

i'm trying to achieve a 'neutral' ambient occlusion kind of lighting of a closed space without windows and GI, for quick animation purposes
    The scene is just a camera in a box with flipped normals and cast shadows ticked off.

i've tried various lighting conditions, omnis, vray spheres, planes and
    domes, i've even tried a combination of blends and lightmaterials
    but i just can't seem to pull this off - either the floor/roof become darker than the walls or the other way around.

i am out of ideas, does anyone have any tips for me?

Use VRayDirt on the materials.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ah yes, i've been fiddling with the dirt in the color slot of a vRayLightMtl, that gives me a nice smooth AO kind of lighting:

my problem is that i could only get this to work with plain colors.
      i've tried to blend a vRayMtl with a lightMtl + dirt, now the material properties are there, but i've lost the diffuse color:

i'm not sure how to go about this, i kind of feel like i'm doing things backwards...any thoughts?

Comment

try a standard material with vraydirt in the self-illumination slot
        Marc Lorenz
        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
        www.marclorenz.com
        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

actually Im faced with rendering a complex interrior without gi aswell. I think, that the most reasonable way is to mimic light travel through out the scene with area lights. For example have a area light in the window, then a couple of area lights inside with very subdle intensity to simulate bounce from the walls etc, and probably a few custom linked lights to bring out some objects, which would be obviously lit by the bounce or whatever. Not a fun thing to do I must say...
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

excellent plastic, that works!
            hmm, with a standard mtl, vrayMap in reflection slot, glossiness set to 1000(can that be right?) and 8 subdivs there's a 30 sec speed increase, that might just be worth it.

133 sec. standard mtl, without GI

161 sec. vRay mtl, with GI

not sure why, but i feel more comfortable using vrayMtls rather than standards...i was hoping some kind of vRayBlendMtl combo would work, but i had no luck with that

morbid: yep, that would be another way to fake bounces. but i've got minimal skills and knowledge about interior lighting, so i'm not even going to consider that approach
            look on the bright side - at least you have some windows to work with

would be great to see how your bounce faking is turning out

Comment

yey, it turned out kind of cool, rendered out quickly and smoothly without GI, there's a small vid here for anyone interested :

http://www.indok.no/filetransfer/temp/LightMat.wmv

Comment

Hah. That's pretty cool.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
                X