Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEST 32 vs. 64

Hi all,
    I don't know if i should post that image here...
    I don't know either if i have expected too much, or i have just believed in the very bright future of the new technologies, but definitely i didn't expect that:

*** YOU CAN SEE A COUPLE OF PICTURES WITH SOME TIME RESULTS AT MY NEXT POST IN THE SAME TOPIC. ***

The same scene, the same preset, the same machine...

I wish u all good luck...May be the real difference will be by Vista...
    Express Your Imagination - let it MAX!!!
    www.3dkad.de

=:-/
    Laurent

Comment

what do you mean? where does the time difference come from? does the scene use a lot of memory?
      did you expect it to be even faster with 64bit?

(i see differences in reflections and/or filtering)
      Marc Lorenz
      ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
      www.marclorenz.com
      www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

The first image is renderd with 32 bit softwares, the second is rendered with x64 V-ray on x64 MAX on x64 Win XP...I expected to be faster with the x64 softwares...
        The CPU is AMD Athlon 64 FX 60.
        www.3dkad.de

Comment

well it shouldn't really be faster, unless you hit the memory limit of 2-3 GB of 32bit.
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Sorry guys - the mistake up was mine...The first image is rendered with MAX 8.0.
            But here is something that is even more worse then the little difference...I don't know any more

www.3dkad.de

Comment

x64 doesn't offer any speed improvements in rendering, it only allows you to render scenes that you would never dreamt of rendering in 32bit.

Try making a sphere(make the subdivisions max around 200 i think), copy it (not instance) 10 times horizontally, 10 vertically, and 10 times back again, then copy those 1000 spheres again 10 times or more.... now try to render it at a resolution of 10,000 x 10,000.... x64 will (might!) render it no problem... 32bit will look at you in a strange way, laugh, and go off and do something more important instead.
              Patrick Macdonald
              Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

That is a reasonable answer...thanx re:Form
                Maybe i relay to much to the Numbers...i must not take the difference between 32 and 64 so general
                Thanx once more time!!!
                www.3dkad.de

Comment

If you think about it, regardless of whether an application is 32-bit or 64-bit, it is still the same processor doing the same calculations. So you can't really expect a great difference in performance. However, like noted by re:FORM, the way they handle large amounts of data is very different.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Just being able to open a really large scene alone and to work with it - makes up for differences in render time.
                    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I noticed there are differences in the two images.
                      The shower curtain exhibits some artifacting in the GI phase, it seems, which differ from max 9 32 and 64 bit.
                      Wouldn't know why...

Lele

Comment

@ studioDIM - i have noticed it also...No idea why...the same preset, the same scene, the same CPU , as Vlado mentioned before...
                        www.3dkad.de

Comment

Is it just me - or does the white countertop seems a hair darker in the last two images as well?
                          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Some differences are to be expected since the compiler generates different code for 32- and 64-bit platforms. The result is very similar, but some details may be different - e.g. the generated (quasi) random numbers will be slightly different in general, resulting in different noise patterns.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

What I think is weird -- is that Max 9 32 renders faster than Max 8-32 -- quite a bit faster.

Why does that happen?

Comment

Working...
                              X