Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dark image vray sky/sun

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some vray sun /sky experts.
    I have attached an image rendered with max 9 vray 1.5rc3 using one of the lwf methods.
    my vray sun has its intensity set to 1 which it think is correct if using the vray camera which i am.
    The camera settings are:-
    f-number --16
    shutter speed --250
    film speed --200
    The image when rendered looks very dark both the sky and the building, which surely can not be right for a bright sunny day.
    I would be grateful for any pointers to put me in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Tdarcy

P.S. I have just upgraded from viz 4 to max9 and its a whole new world

Well because you are using physical camera, you should
    use correct settings.

In your case:

Lower the shutter speed or increase film speed

More info can be found here:
    http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...icalcamera.htm

-LarsSon
    Lasse Kilpia
    VFX Artist
    Post Control Helsinki

Comment

Thanks for the reply LarsSon,
      I have tried a lot of variations with f numbers film speed etc using guide lines from this web site http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html but whatever i do it still seems too dark.
      The time of day for the sun is 17:17 pm on 17 june 2006 in Belfast

Cheers
      Tdarcy

Comment

try:
        f:8
        shutter:125-160
        film:100
        tweak the shutter until right.

Comment

Joost Ink,
          tried that and it seems to help, does that mean that the exposure calculator i used in the above mentioned web site is wrong.

Cheers
          Tdarcy

Comment

I don't think it is wrong, but it might be it is based on a different focallength, vraycam has default focal length of 40 mm.

Comment

this might help as well:
              http://www.vrayelite.com/camsky.php
              i've been meaning to fix portions of this tut, just haven't got around to it yet. nonetheless, it should get you going in the right direction.
              best,
              -joe
              www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Its dark because your camera settings are not allowing enough light itn. Therefore, change the camera settings until it looks right. Doesnt matter if it doesnt match what a website says, just make it work for you.

Also if your using vray sun and sky you need to leave them at 1.0 for it to work properly, LWF sometimes helps as well.

Comment

You can save yourself a lof of adjustment trouble by just using Max
                  Logarithmic Exposure instead of Vray Camera Exposure. It´s interactive so you can see immediately how the final rendering will look like.Below the line the result is the same as Vray Camera Exposure. I still can´t understand why so much people prefer
                  non-interractive exposure by camera at the moment. You don´t have physical materials so it´s not physically correct anyway. So why not using
                  something interractive instead that produces the same effect ?
                  I guess it´s just cool
                  In my eyes it´s nothing but a toy !!
                  (In the last 6 years not even one customer asked for a physical correct rendering... how about yours ?)

Comment

my customers wouldn't know a physically correct render if it jumped up and bit em in the nose. Doesn't stop them from asking for it though.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Vray sun knockes out my glass reflection

Using vray 1.5 rc3 with max9 I just noticed that the Vray sun has some pretty hard contrast in its ray of light .

Also, the reflection of my glass in the building just becomes very dark and black, only to come back with pulling hard on my ior. Distant trees dont reflect anymore, only closeup stuff.

Anyone have these problems as well? Using normal directional light is no problem at all.

Ronald

Comment

it's contrasted allright, being a light source with no decay and around 380.0 (float) intensity
                        Cater for it with materials and physcam.

Lele

Comment

Working...
                        X