Resource Collector for Vray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource Collector for Vray ?

I am looking for a Resource Collector utility (similar to the one found in 3ds max utilities section), that is capable of recognizing maps used in Vray materials, the map in the environment slot, the maps used in the Vray environment override slots etc. It seems like the standard Max resource collector does not see these maps (unless I do something wrong here, which is quite possible ).

What do you guys use to collect resources for a finished 3ds max scene and update paths for maps accordingly ?
    Lars Bjorstrup
    http://www.xlars.dk
    Vray 1.5 Advanced R3, 3ds max 8 SP3, Win XP2, 2 x Dual Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 2Gb RAM, 3DLabs Wildcat VP990 Pro 512Mb

I've noticed this also, especially for saved IR maps. I can't send an animation off to backburner without hand placing my IR maps somewhere on the network for all servers to see, something that would have been archived automatically in a scanlien situation. Chalk up another suggestion for a future release tweak?

Comment

yes i've been asking for this for a while - it'd be really really helpful.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...otometric+path

Comment

I prepared a small script to quickly collect to one folder all proxies and saved Ir/LC/Photon maps assigned in the render dialog or scene.
        It can also change all the paths (render dialog and proxies) to match the collected maps.
        Grab it here: http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VRay_Stuff_Collector.rar

Unpack, run installer.ms, find what you need in the dialog box that pops up.
        Check the maxscript listener for a clue as to what has happened during collection.
        Note it will repeat the copy operation even if the file source and destination match (in which case it will simply fail the copy), or if the file is already present in the collection folder (in which case it will overwrite it without asking).
        I find this to be the most predictable behaviour, but feel free to suggest others...
        If someone could test this on UNC paths i'd be grateful

Lele

Comment

Lele,

Sounds good, but I tested it and nothing happens.
          It seems to work correctly until I click the "Collect" button. Just nothing happens...maybe an installation error? Please help, thanks a lot.
          JR

Comment

what does the maxscript listener prints?
            Are you using unc paths (\\pc_A\proxies\) or pulling /saving stuff to a local drive and path?

Thanks,
            Lele

Comment

Thank you Lele (and sorry for not responding earliere, I did write a response but somehow never got it posted in this thread). Anyway I get the same problem as above, nothing happens. In my case I just want maps (eg. the HDRI map used in the environment to be collected to a local directory and for the path to be updated acordingly.
              Lars Bjorstrup
              Vray 1.5 Advanced R3, 3ds max 8 SP3, Win XP2, 2 x Dual Intel Xeon 2.66GHz, 2Gb RAM, 3DLabs Wildcat VP990 Pro 512Mb

Comment

Thanks for the response LeLe,

Using local paths and asset tracking says "convert paths to UNC"
                The maxscript listener is just empty.

Thanks again,
                JR

Comment

It only collects proxies and Saved IRmaps (anything that has a savep path in the render dialog).
                  Won't say a thing if it doesn't collect anything.
                  Is the issue happening with any of those items?
                  For hdri maps and normal stuff there's a nice collection already doable within max...

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                    It only collects proxies and Saved IRmaps (anything that has a savep path in the render dialog).
                    Won't say a thing if it doesn't collect anything.
                    Is the issue happening with any of those items?
                    For hdri maps and normal stuff there's a nice collection already doable within max...

Lele
                    Sorry, im not quite sure what you mean about then nice collection already doable within max ?

The reason I started this thread is that I am looking for a resource Collector utility (similar to the one found in 3ds max utilities section), that is capable of recognizing maps used in Vray materials, the map in the environment slot, the maps used in the Vray environment override slots etc.

Would it be possible for you to expand your script to also include these maps?
                    Lars Bjorstrup

Comment

Sorry, i forgot to include the override maps.
                      Would you want me to just collect the whole lot of bitmaps in one go?
                      That'd likely prove easier (code's actually in place and commented...)

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                        Sorry, i forgot to include the override maps.
                        Would you want me to just collect the whole lot of bitmaps in one go?
                        That'd likely prove easier (code's actually in place and commented...)

Lele
                        Yes collecting the whole lot in one go would be perfect (can not think of many situations whare I would need for some maps to be collected and not others, and making it all just happen also keeps it simple and straight forward to use) .. you already coded it?

Btw. could you perhaps also make an option for copying the max file itself also (like the build in resource collector does) ?

Thank you
                        Lars Bjorstrup

Comment

http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VRay_...ector_1.1b.rar

Will collect all the standard max bitmaps along with all the VRayHDRI now.
                          Turn collect standard bitmaps on should the standard collector miss some of those in strange places.

Let me know if there's anything specific i forgot to include.

Thanks,
                          Lele

Comment

lol, like not said, i'll try and do that, but don't know if it can be copied across while open, i'll check that.

Lele

Comment

http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VRay_...ector_1.1b.rar

Max file collection (will rename as "collected_*.max") and possibility of using the collected file or not.
                              If the user choses not to use the collected file, max will just leave the current file open with its save flag off, in other words, if the file needed save before collection, it will need saving afterwards. Unless of course one choses to use (open) the collected file.

Lele

Comment

Working...
                              X